NFLNBAMLBNHLWNBASoccerGolf
Featured Video
Mbappé's Rollercoaster Season 🎢
LONDON, ENGLAND - AUGUST 02: Nicolas Otamendi of Valencia in action during the Emirates Cup match between Valencia and AS Monaco at the Emirates Stadium on August 2, 2014 in London, England.  (Photo by Michael Regan/Getty Images)
LONDON, ENGLAND - AUGUST 02: Nicolas Otamendi of Valencia in action during the Emirates Cup match between Valencia and AS Monaco at the Emirates Stadium on August 2, 2014 in London, England. (Photo by Michael Regan/Getty Images)Michael Regan/Getty Images

Otamendi Only Part of the Solution to United's Defensive Woes

Jerrad PetersSep 25, 2014

With each passing day it seems more and more inevitable that Manchester United will turn to the transfer market in an attempt to solve their defensive problems.

Of course, they’ll have to wait until January before concluding any business, and if their capitulation against Leicester City is any indication they’ll likely be well back of the Champions League places by then.

BURNLEY, ENGLAND - AUGUST 30:  Manager Louis van Gaal of Manchester United looks on during the Barclays Premier League match between Burnley and Manchester United at Turf Moor on August 30, 2014 in Burnley, England.  (Photo by Clive Brunskill/Getty Images

TOP NEWS

Real Madrid CF v Girona FC - LaLiga EA Sports
Real Betis V Real Madrid - Laliga Ea Sports

The New Year is a long way off, but it can’t come soon enough at Old Trafford.

On Thursday club manager Louis van Gaal conceded he had only a single, senior centre-back available for the weekend’s match at home to West Ham, telling the BBC he’d have to “go to the youth system” in order to fill his team-sheet.

What he wouldn’t do for a top-level, international-calibre defender, but then again the Dutchman invested little of his summer transfer kitty—which approached £150 million—on enhancements to the back-line.

JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA - JUNE 27:  Nicolas Otamendi of Argentina kicks the ball during the 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa Round of Sixteen match between Argentina and Mexico at Soccer City Stadium on June 27, 2010 in Johannesburg, South Africa.  (Ph

As former United captain Gary Neville told BBC Radio 5 Live on Tuesday, as per Reuters, it could take another hefty outlay, “maybe £100 million,” before title contention becomes a possibility at the 20-time champions.

“There are still key positions in the team that need filling,” he said. “I think the centre-back position is obviously the key area.”

Given his current conundrum, no doubt Van Gaal would agree. And to that end the 63-year-old is already thought to be readying a series of winter bids, with Nicolas Otamendi’s name at or near the top of his list.

According to the Express, United are considering a £40 million approach for Otamendi, who joined Valencia from Porto just eight months ago.

In a player, the Argentina international would appear to be everything the Red Devils presently lack.

A tough tackler who can play a good first pass, the 26-year-old is also adept at moving the ball out of the back on the dribble, and so far this term he’s been part of one of the best defensive units in La Liga.

Impressively, he’s contributed 10 interceptions in four matches for Los Che (statistics courtesy Squawka) and has also dominated in the air on set-pieces.

At £40 million he’d also represent a tidy profit for Valencia, who paid just €12 million for his signature in early 2014.

But he’d still not completely heal what ails the United defensive corps—at least, not by himself.

Although the club seem to be happy with Rafael they have few options at right-back, and given the Brazilian’s penchant for getting himself either suspended or injured they could certainly do with another body in the position, if not upgrade it altogether.

BILBAO, SPAIN - MARCH 15:  Oscar de Marcos of Athletic Bilbao celebrates scoring his sides second goal during the UEFA Europa League Round 16 second Leg match between Athletic Bilbao and Manchester United at the San Mames stadium on March 15, 2012 in Bilb

Athletic Bilbao’s Oscar de Marcos would fit the bill in this regard, and his ability to play both along the flank and in the centre of midfield would fit Van Gaal’s preference for versatility as well.

The 25-year-old is under contract for only another season at San Mames.

Then there are the likes of Ron Vlaar, John Stones, Inigo Martinez and Mats Hummels—defenders inevitably mentioned when United’s frailties are discussed.

Van Gaal will likely need to sign at least two of them in order to move the club forward, although acquiring Otamendi would be a good start.

Mbappé's Rollercoaster Season 🎢

TOP NEWS

Real Madrid CF v Girona FC - LaLiga EA Sports
Real Betis V Real Madrid - Laliga Ea Sports
United States v Japan - International Friendly
FIFA World Cup 2026 Venues - New York New Jersey Stadium

TRENDING ON B/R