Celtics Rumors: Latest Free Agent Buzz and More
Few teams are facing an offseason like the Boston Celtics.
With few players under contract heading into next season, the Celtics knew this would be a vital offseason for both the team's present and future success.
Garnett will be back, but Ray Allen is officially gone. Who will replace him? Which players will the team look to re-sign now? What other players out there might they target?
You have questions, I have reports, rumors, updates and announcements. Let's get to the latest buzz from Beantown.
Brandon Bass and Other Players Who Could Return
1 of 4Rest easy, Boston Celtics fans. Brandon Bass isn't going anywhere.
UPDATE: July 5 at 4:20 p.m. EST by Sam Quinn
According to The Boston Herald's Steve Bulpett, the Celtics and Bass have come to terms:
"Brandon Bass staying. Celtics have reached agreement with power forward on 3-year deal, per Herald source.
— Steve Bulpett (@SteveBHoop) July 5, 2012"
Here is another good signing by Danny Ainge and the rest of the Boston front office. It locks up another player for a team that didn't have nearly enough guys under contract a month ago.
Bass' shining moment in Boston was his 27-point performance in Game 5 of the Eastern Conference Quarterfinals against the Philadelphia 76ers, in which he dropped 18 points in the third quarter alone.
The 27-year-old power forward started 39 games for the Celtics last season, averaging 12.5 points and 6.2 rebounds per game.
The LSU alum had a career year in 2011-2012, and the Celtics are surely hoping he can continue to improve over the next three years to validate his contract.
As always, stay tuned to Bleacher Report for the latest information on free-agency happenings.
---End of Update---
Gary Washburn of the Boston Globe reports that "The Celtics are expected to meet with Brandon Bass representatives this weekend to begin discussions on a potential extension."
Bass had a fine season for the Celtics last year, averaging 12.5 points and 6.2 rebounds in 31.7 minutes per game last season.
And he's not the only young player the Celtics hope to bring back to Boston, according to Steve Bulpett of the Boston Herald:
"The Celts still are hoping to sign Jeff Green and Brandon Bass, and they’ve made a qualifying offer to Greg Stiemsma, making him a restricted free agent and giving them the option to match any offer he gets.
"
Garnett and Allen will steal the headlines, but keeping a solid, young supporting cast around Boston's Big Four will be just as important this offseason.
Hit me up on Twitter—my tweets want Dwight Howard to just get traded already too.
Jason Terry
2 of 4Well, it happened after all and that's Jason Terry going to the Boston Celtics.
UPDATE: July 3 at 3:30pm EST by John Rozum
According to Marc J. Spears of Yahoo! Sports:
"The Boston Celtics have reached agreement with Dallas Mavericks free-agent guard Jason Terry on a three-year contract, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.
The Celtics will use their $5 million midlevel exception to sign Terry. The total value of the contract will be worth more than $15 million.
"
It's a little somewhat surprising considering how much Terry and the Mavericks have accomplished during his eight seasons in Dallas. That said, Terry now will be hitting the court for arguably the NBA's most legendary franchise.
Boston still presents a strong defense and an excellent point man in Rajon Rondo. So, expect Terry to be an impressive contributor at the very least. The Celtics got a reliable scorer and now the offense can push the pace to be dominant in 2012-13.
Not so fast on Jason Terry to Boston.
UPDATE: July 3 at 3:05pm EST by John Rozum
According to Marc Stein of ESPN:
"But source stresses that Terry will go back to Mavs to give them chance to counter before finalizing three-year deal, believed to be at MLE
— Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) July 3, 2012"
Dallas needs Terry just as much, if not more than the Celtics. He's been a great bench player for the Mavericks for the last eight seasons, and has averaged no less than 30 minutes per game in Dallas.
Not to mention, but Terry also started 285 games for the Mavs. Although he's been a role player in recent years, Terry is a key player off the bench that can be a reliable started when called upon as well.
The Boston Celtics are about to get a great marksman this offseason.
According to Marc J. Spears of Yahoo! Sports:
"Celtics are in final discussions on terms of a multi-year deal with Mavericks free agent guard Jason Terry, sources tells Yahoo! Sports.
— Marc J. Spears (@SpearsNBAYahoo) July 3, 2012"
It's a nice pickup for the Celtics, because the offense ranked No. 26 in scoring last season and depth if anything, is needed for Boston.
Terry may not be a consistent starter, but he can offer great production off the bench just as he did in Dallas. While with the Mavericks in 2011-12, Terry averaged 15.1 points and 3.6 assists in getting 31.7 minutes per game.
He also shot 88.3 percent from the line, 37.8 percent from beyond the arc, and has proven to be just as effective in the postseason. During the Mavs' 2011 NBA Finals run, Terry averaged 17.5 points and shot 44.2 percent from downtown in 21 playoff games.
Other than Ray Allen, Boston lacked a deep threat off the bench and a guy who could contribute defensively. Terry is reliable at both ends and has a few years left in him as well.
Kevin Garnett Returns
3 of 4Welcome back to Boston, Kevin Garnett.
According to various sources, Garnett has re-signed with the Celtics for another three years:
"#NBA - Kevin Garnett decides to return to @Celtics, reportedly for 3 years and$34 million
— SportsCenter (@SportsCenter) June 30, 2012"
That's big news for the Celtics, who proved they have a few more years in the tank after taking the Heat the full seven games in the Eastern Conference Finals.
Ray Allen Agrees to Sign with Miami Heat
4 of 4UPDATE: Friday, July 6 at 10:56 p.m. ET by Austin Green
Unfortunately for the Celtics and their fans, Ray Allen has officially agreed to a deal with their hated rivals in South Beach.
Miami Heat owner Micky Arison was the first to break the news, tweeting this on Friday:
"Its 2:30am in London and I was just woken up with great news.Welcome to the family #20!!
— Micky Arison (@MickyArison) July 7, 2012"
According to Alex Kennedy of HoopsWorld, Allen signed for the mini-mid-level exception, which was about half of what the Celtics could offer him.
"Ray Allen is leaving the Celtics to join the Heat. He'll sign for the mini mid-level exception, $3.09 million per year: tinyurl.com/7ccwuq7
— Alex Kennedy (@AlexKennedyNBA) July 7, 2012"
There are several reasons why Allen would turn down more money, like the warm weather of Miami and the chance to chase another ring. According to Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports, though, those aren't the only reasons he left.
"The deterioration of Ray Allen's relationship with Rajon Rondo played a significant factor in his leaving for Miami, several sources tell Y!
— Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) July 7, 2012"
This is a devastating blow for the Celtics. Not only did they lose the best three-point shooter in NBA history, but he signed with the team that knocked them out of the playoffs in two consecutive years.
Boston may have enough juice for another title run, but their biggest obstacle just got even bigger.
------------------END OF UPDATE------------------
With Kevin Garnett reportedly locked up, the focus for the Celtics now turns to Ray Allen. In fact, general manager Danny Ainge already said that re-signing Allen was “our number one priority," according to the Boston Herald.
And if they are willing to go over a one-year contract for Allen, they'll have a major advantage over other suitors like the Miami Heat, Chicago Bulls, Phoenix Suns and Memphis Grizzlies. More from the Boston Herald:
"Miami is also said to be willing to offer Allen multiple years—a priority listed by Allen during a Herald interview in mid-April.
But the Celtics, with Allen’s Bird rights and, for the first time, cap space, can at least double that offer in the first year. Though they are willing to sign Garnett for three years, it’s unclear whether the Celtics would also sign Allen for more than one year.
"
But according to ESPN's Chris Broussard, the Celtics are willing to offer a two-year deal:
"Source: Celtics willing to double (in terms of $) Heat offer to Ray Allen. Will give 2 years/$12 million. Heat can offer only $3 mill a yr
— Chris Broussard (@Chris_Broussard) July 1, 2012"
Broussard has also reported that the Grizzlies have made an offer and tweeted insight into Allen's thought process as he mulls his options:
"Sources confirm Memphis has offered full midlevel to Ray Allen for 2 yrs. Bos willing to pay 2 yrs/$12 mill, tho no offer made yet.
— Chris Broussard (@Chris_Broussard) July 1, 2012"
"Allen weighing 3 factors in decision: 1 - chances of competing for title; 2 - role on team; & 3 - money offered
— Chris Broussard (@Chris_Broussard) July 1, 2012"
Things are heating up on the Allen front. Stay tuned.





.jpg)




