NFLNBAMLBNHLWNBASoccerGolf
Featured Video
Mets Walk-Off Yankees 🍎
Aaron Judge
Aaron JudgeElsa/Getty Images

Why Cubs Can Make a Splash Without Chasing Aaron Judge amid MLB Free-Agency Rumors

Kristopher KnoxOct 28, 2022

New York Yankees outfielder Aaron Judge is the hottest name on the 2022 free-agent market. He racked up an American League record 62 home runs this season and will be paid handsomely for his power in the not-too-distant future.

The 30-year-old will be free to sign with a new team five days after the World Series ends.

Just about any team would be happy to have Judge's services in 2023, and the Chicago Cubs are no exception.

TOP NEWS

Washington Nationals v Los Angeles Angels
New York Yankees v. Chicago Cubs

According to David Kaplan of ESPN radio and NBC Sports Chicago, though, he is likely to be out of the Cubs' price range.

"Now, if you said to me Aaron Judge said, ‘I just wanna be a Cub or a White Sock and I'll take five years at—pick the number—$45 million,’ I think both teams would be in play," Kaplan told Miller and Condon of KXNO 1460 on Wednesday. "Certainly the Cubs would be in play. But I’m hearing Aaron Judge wants, like, nine years at $50 million."

If Judge wants something close to or beyond $50 million per year, he's likely to get it. The Yankees want him back and the Los Angeles Dodgers are also interested, per Mark Feinsand of MLB.com.

The San Francisco Giants may ultimately outbid both New York and L.A, according to Randy Miller of NJ Advanced Media.

"The Giants have targeted Judge and are prepared to spend whatever it takes, a person with knowledge of the Giants’ thinking told NJ Advance Media after meeting with members of the franchise’s ownership group," he wrote.

If the Dodgers, Yankees and Giants—three franchises not shy about tossing around free-agent cash—are headlining the chase to sign Judge, the Cubs probably don't have a realistic shot.

However, this doesn't mean Chicago can't make a splash in free agency or get significantly better over the winter. According to Kaplan, the Cubs are very interested in adding longtime Chicago White Sox first baseman José Abreu to their rotation.

"Yeah, Cubs, José Abreu if the White Sox don’t bring him back, absolutely in play," he said. "I think they're looking for a short-term first baseman until they get something out of the system, whether that’s Matt Mervis or whoever."

While Abreu isn't going to scare opposing pitchers like Judge can, he would add a reliable bat to the lineup. He hit .304 with 75 RBI this past season and is a logical target if the White Sox are looking to move on.

According to Bob Nightengale of USA Today, that may be the case.

"The White Sox loved having José Abreu the past nine years, and he has been nothing but a class act and valuable hitter, but they plan to part ways with him," he wrote last week. "Simply, they need to shake up their team."

Last month, Nightengale mentioned Dodgers shortstop Trea Turner as a Cubs target as well.

"Turner is expected to be the top free-agent target for the San Francisco Giants, Philadelphia Phillies, Chicago Cubs, perhaps Atlanta, and yes, the Dodgers," he wrote.

The 29-year-old hit .298 with 21 homers and 100 RBI this past season. Theoretically, the Cubs could significantly upgrade their offense by adding both him and Abreu. Chicago may be able to do that at a lower cost than adding Judge alone.

According to Spotrac, Turner has an estimated market value of $33.6 million annually. The 35-year-old Abreu would be far cheaper, with an estimated market value of $9.1 million annually.

Perhaps not so coincidentally, that adds up to $42.7 million, just below the $45 million Kaplan mentioned as an agreeable price point for Judge.

And Turner is far from the only quality shortstop headed to market this year. Carlos Correa is likely to opt out, along with Xander Bogaerts. And 29-year-old Dansby Swanson is also slated to be a free agent.

Fans can and probably should expect Chicago to come away with one of these standout shortstops. Team president Jed Hoyer has committed to taking an aggressive approach to free agency.

"We'll be aggressive to try to fill those holes in the best way possible," he said, per Tim Stebbins of NBC Sports Chicago. " I think we can definitely compete next year, and we also want to create something lasting and special."

That effort to fill holes might also include a run at starting pitcher Jacob deGrom, according to Kaplan, and we can expect Chicago to target a few ancillary players as well.

The reality is that the Cubs, without a win in a playoff game since 2017, are already close. They showed a lot of promise down the stretch, finishing 39-31 over the final 70 games.

With a few new additions, they can make themselves a real threat in the National League, and they can do it without participating in the bidding war for Judge.

Mets Walk-Off Yankees 🍎

TOP NEWS

Washington Nationals v Los Angeles Angels
New York Yankees v. Chicago Cubs
New York Yankees v Tampa Bay Rays
New York Mets v San Diego Padres

TRENDING ON B/R