CFB
HomeScoresRecruitingHighlights
Featured Video
Mitchell Headed to 1st Conference Finals 🔥

Michigan Football: 4-Star Safety Will Announce Future on July 8th

Zach DirlamJun 28, 2011

The Detroit Free Press reported early Tuesday morning Akron, Ohio safety, Jarrod Wilson (Buchtel High), will hold a news conference at his high school on July 8 to announce where he will play college football.

Wilson will be choosing between the Michigan Wolverines, Penn State Nittany Lions, and the Notre Dame Fighting Irish. Wilson is a 4-star prospect according to Rivals.com and is ranked as the No. 13 safety on the site. Wilson also has offers from Michigan State, Illinois, Pittsburgh, Stanford, and West Virginia.

Wilson decided on his top three schools in spring and paid visits to all of them earlier this month.

TOP NEWS

Ohio State Team Doctor
2026 Florida Spring Football Game
College Football Playoff National Championship: Head Coaches News Conference

Buchtel coach and former Michigan running back, Ricky Powers, cannot say enough about the talent and ability of the 6'2", 190-pound free safety.

"The kid is rangy, he's smart and, since he's been with me every time the ball is thrown in the air, if it's picked off, he's scoring," Powers told The Detroit Free Press.

According to Scout.com, Wilson snagged 10 interceptions last year and returned five of them for touchdowns in his junior season. Wilson also recorded 52 tackles.

If Wilson chooses to come to Michigan July 8 he will be a strong addition to the Wolverines' 2012 recruiting class, which already consists of 18 commitments. It also increases the likelihood that Madisonville, Kentucky safety Jeremy Clark, who committed to Michigan last week, will end up "grayshirting" the 2012 season and become a Wolverine in 2013.

For those who do not know what "grayshirting" is, it means a prospect would not be involved in any team activities for the season and can either pay their own way at the university they wish to attend or go to a community college for a year. The prospect may then compete the following season and will count toward that recruiting class, not the year in which they opted for the "grayshirt".

This is mainly used by schools who have a shortage of scholarships to offer players. So, in Clark's case he will likely be on an athletic scholarship at Michigan in 2013 and count toward next year's recruiting class instead of this year.

I expect that Powers' Michigan connection will play a big factor in Wilson's decision, which is why I believe he will become a Wolverine when he makes his announcement next Friday.

In other recruiting news, Sally Bars, the mother of 4-star offensive lineman Blake Bars, who verbally committed to Michigan over the weekend discussed her son's decision with The Detroit Free Pressin the early hours of Tuesday morning.

"Blake talked so much about Michigan since his visit a week ago," Sally said. "We had to make a chart. What's important to you in a school. He said, 'Has it, has it, has it.' Then he said, 'See, I told you Michigan was for me.'"

Check out my new blog, Dirlam’s Dirty Dugout Sports Blog, which features this story along with other articles and video reports on the major sports. You can also follow my blog on Twitter, @DirtyDugoutBlog, which will provide you with the latest updates about what will be posted on the blog!

Mitchell Headed to 1st Conference Finals 🔥

TOP NEWS

Ohio State Team Doctor
2026 Florida Spring Football Game
College Football Playoff National Championship: Head Coaches News Conference
COLLEGE FOOTBALL: JAN 01 College Football Playoff Quarterfinal at the Allstate Sugar Bowl Ole Miss vs Georgia

TRENDING ON B/R