Chiefs' Deandre Baker Had Surgery on Broken Femur After Gruesome Leg Injury

Jenna CiccotelliCorrespondent III

Kansas City Chiefs cornerback DeAndre Baker (30) is helped off the field after getting injured during the second half of an NFL football game against the Los Angeles Chargers, Sunday, Jan. 3, 2021, in Kansas City. (AP Photo/Charlie Riedel)
Charlie Riedel/Associated Press

Kansas City Chiefs cornerback Deandre Baker had surgery to repair a broken femur after he was stretchered off the field Sunday against the Los Angeles Chargers.

Head coach Andy Reid told reporters the operation was a success.


Chiefs CB Deandre Baker points to the sky as he was taken off of the field on a stretcher 🙏 https://t.co/3OMv43hj6D

Baker, who appeared in all 16 games for the New York Giants last season, was signed to the Chiefs practice squad in November and made his 2020 debut last week against the New Orleans Saints, where he played seven special teams snaps.

On Sunday, he logged five tackles and a sack before exiting.

Baker was drafted out of Georgia by the Giants in the first round of the 2019 draft and posted 61 tackles and eight pass breakups last season.

He was placed on the commissioner's exempt list and then released by the Giants in September after he was charged with four counts of robbery with a firearm stemming from an incident that happened in Florida four months earlier. All charges were dropped in November. Seattle Seahawks cornerback Quinton Dunbar was also involved in the incident, but charges were not filed, according to ESPN's Jordan Raanan.

The lawyer who represented three of the four individuals who said Baker robbed them was arrested for extortion. Still, the Giants did not plan to bring him back to the club.

"Wish him the best luck in the future," coach Joe Judge said, per Raanan. "We've made the decision we think is best for the program. That is all I have to say about that."

That paved the way for Baker to visit the Chiefs, which was the only team on his radar, per NFL Network's Mike Garafolo. But after just two games, his return to the league has been cut short.