
Robert Kraft Discusses Restricted Free-Agent Malcolm Butler's Contract Situation
New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft said Monday the reigning Super Bowl champions do not plan to trade restricted free-agent cornerback Malcolm Butler.
Speaking to reporters at the NFL's spring meeting in Phoenix, Arizona, Kraft explained he would like to see Butler back with the Patriots after they placed a first-round tender on him earlier in the offseason.
"We have an offer sheet out to him and I know he has the ability to go out in the market and get someone to sign him," Kraft said, per NFL.com's Kevin Patra. "I hope he's with us and signs his offer sheet and plays for us. I have a great affection for him. He was part of probably the greatest play in the history of our team."
TOP NEWS
.jpg)
Colts Release Kenny Moore

Projecting Every NFL Team's Starting Lineup 🔮

Rookie WRs Who Will Outplay Their Draft Value 📈
As things stand, the Patriots hold all the cards when it comes to Butler's contract situation.
While the New Orleans Saints have hosted the 27-year-old for a visit, they have yet to sign him to an offer sheet. That's because if they do and the Patriots opt not to match it, the Saints will have to surrender their first-round pick (No. 11 overall) in order to acquire him.
Rumors have swirled regarding a potential trade that would allow Butler to land in the Big Easy at a lower cost to the Saints.
On March 20, CSN New England's Mike Giardi reported the Saints and Patriots had the "parameters" of a trade "mostly in place." However, Butler would first have to sign his $3.91 million tender with the Patriots before any deal could be completed.
But based on Kraft's comments, a move of that magnitude doesn't appear imminent.
However, it seems clear at this point that Butler may not be long for the Patriots after they sent a message and signed Stephon Gilmore to a five-year, $65 million deal that includes $40 million guaranteed.

.png)





