
East Carolina Says School Will Not Tolerate Band's National Anthem Protests
East Carolina school officials released a statement Monday condemning the 19 band members who kneeled during the national anthem prior to Saturday's football game against UCF.
Released on behalf of Director of Athletic Bands Dr. William Staub, School of Music Director Christopher Ulffers and College of Fine Arts and Communication Dean Dr. Christopher Buddo, the school said further protests would not be tolerated, via WCNT.com.
"We have met with the band and the members have collectively reaffirmed their commitment to the unique privilege and responsibility that comes with wearing the uniform of the Marching Pirates.
College is about learning, and it is our expectation that the members of the Marching Pirates will learn from this experience and fulfill their responsibilities. While we affirm the right of all our students to express their opinions, protests of this nature by the Marching Pirates will not be tolerated moving forward.
"
Seven former presidents of ECU's Black Students Union have issued their own statement, calling on the university to retract its criticism. The statement, relayed by George Crocker of WCNT.com, said the officials' statements "contrast to this university’s strong history of student activism and in opposition to the position of the Chancellor."
"We will not allow East Carolina to go back to the days where the black student’s voice was marginalized," the statement read. "The actions of the East Carolina’s band leadership are deplorable. Now is the time to support our students wholeheartedly, since it appears that these leaders intended to repress these students’ freedom of speech and not safeguard it."
Fans booed the members of the band for their protest, which comes amid a movement started by San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick. Kaepernick's controversial decision to sit or kneel for the anthem in protest of racial injustice and police brutality has sparked a polarization of opinion. Many citizens—athletes and otherwise—have rushed to his defense while others have criticized the actions as disrespectful.
East Carolina chancellor Cecil Staton previously released a statement supporting the band members' right to protest, per Michael Prunka of the Washington Daily News:
"While we acknowledge and understand the disappointment felt by many Pirate fans in response to the events at the beginning of today’s football game, we urge all Pirate students, supporters and participants to act with respect for each other’s views. Civil discourse is an East Carolina value and part of our ECU creed. We are proud that recent campus conversations on difficult issues have been constructive, meaningful exchanges that helped grow new understanding among our campus community. East Carolina will safeguard the right to free speech, petition and peaceful assembly as assured by the U.S. Constitution.
"
The band's decision has already had consequences for fans. ESPNFayetteville.com and 100.1 FM of Colonial Media and Entertainment announced Tuesday it would not broadcast Saturday's game against South Florida due to the protest. CEO Jeff Andrulonis called the protest "shameful" in a statement released to Mark Armstrong of ABC11.
Follow Tyler Conway (@jtylerconway) on Twitter.
.jpg)





.jpg)







