NFLNBAMLBNHLWNBASoccerGolf
Featured Video
Mbappé's Rollercoaster Season 🎢
FROSINONE, ITALY - JANUARY 10:  Gonzalo Higuain (R) with his teammate Kalidou Koulibaly of SSC Napoli celebrates their victory after Serie A match between Frosinone Calcio and SSC Napoli at Stadio Matusa on January 10, 2016 in Frosinone, Italy.  (Photo by Paolo Bruno/Getty Images)
FROSINONE, ITALY - JANUARY 10: Gonzalo Higuain (R) with his teammate Kalidou Koulibaly of SSC Napoli celebrates their victory after Serie A match between Frosinone Calcio and SSC Napoli at Stadio Matusa on January 10, 2016 in Frosinone, Italy. (Photo by Paolo Bruno/Getty Images)Paolo Bruno/Getty Images

Chelsea Transfer News: Kalidou Koulibaly Blow Dealt by Napoli, Latest Rumours

Tom SunderlandJun 2, 2016

Chelsea have been told to forget about signing Napoli centre-back Kalidou Koulibaly this summer, even if they raise their reported €21 million (£16.3 million) bid for the player. Elsewhere, AS Roma's Antonio Rudiger is understood to be on the Blues' radar.

Italian daily Il Mattino reported incoming Chelsea chief Antonio Conte is "desperate" to sign Koulibaly, but even an offer of €30 million (£23.2 million) may not be enough to seal his signature (h/t Football Italia).

TURIN, ITALY - MAY 08:  Afriyie Acquah (L) of Torino FC competes with Kalidou Koulibaly of SSC Napoli during the Serie A match between Torino FC and SSC Napoli at Stadio Olimpico di Torino on May 8, 2016 in Turin, Italy.  (Photo by Valerio Pennicino/Getty

TOP NEWS

Real Madrid CF v Girona FC - LaLiga EA Sports
Real Betis V Real Madrid - Laliga Ea Sports

Koulibaly was a popular figure at the Stadio San Paolo this past season as Napoli recorded a runner-up finish in Serie A, keeping 12 clean sheets in the 32 league starts he made for the club.

David Amoyal, a translator for Gianluca Di Marzio, highlighted the 24-year-old's physical strength as being one of his major assets:

Chelsea are on the lookout for an heir to John Terry, who recently signed a new one-year contract extension at Stamford Bridge, which some assuredly expect to be his last with the west Londoners.

But with Kurt Zouma recovering from a serious knee injury and Andreas Christensen's future in some doubt because of a successful loan spell at Borussia Monchengladbach, per TalkSport, new recruits may be required.

Koulibaly (right) helped Napoli finish second to Juventus in Serie A last season.

It's mentioned Napoli president Aurelio De Laurentiis will do all he can to retain Koulibaly's services this summer, but former Juventus manager Conte appears set on signing the 6'2" totem.

Metz academy product Koulibaly moved to Naples from Racing Genk in 2014, and Belgian football expert John Chapman recently noted the defender was a force to reckoned with in the Jupiler League, too:

Another Serie A powerhouse understood to be drawing interest is Roma's Rudiger, and Italian outlet La Repubblica reported Chelsea are hunting a deal after his move to the capital became official (h/t Calciomercato).

It's reported Roma will sell their defender for €25 million (£19.4 million) after recruiting him for just €9 million (£7 million) from VfB Stuttgart.

Bleacher Report's Jack Lusby previously hyped the Germany international's talents:

It's likely Conte will want to assess his defensive options in full once he assumes his post after Italy's Euro 2016 campaign, with youngsters like Zouma and Christensen both tipped for big things in future.

That being said, Rudiger and Koulibaly would be considered more readily prepared for a Premier League title charge as the elite of the Italian top flight maintain their close links to Conte's Chelsea.  

Mbappé's Rollercoaster Season 🎢

TOP NEWS

Real Madrid CF v Girona FC - LaLiga EA Sports
Real Betis V Real Madrid - Laliga Ea Sports
United States v Japan - International Friendly
FIFA World Cup 2026 Venues - New York New Jersey Stadium

TRENDING ON B/R