
Magic Johnson Talks LeBron James Topping Michael Jordan in 'Space Jam' Sequel
Magic Johnson says LeBron James can be better than Michael Jordan—at least as a Space Jam star. The Los Angeles Lakers legend caught up with TMZ Sports on Sunday and said he "thinks" James could top Jordan in the upcoming sequel.
"Well he's gonna have to top [Jordan], but he'll do good," Johnson said.
James, 31, is slated to star in the unnamed Space Jam sequel, which is finally getting off the ground after years of speculation.
Rebecca Ford of the Hollywood Reporter reported director Justin Lin, best known for the Fast and Furious series, had signed on as director and co-screenwriter. The movie is part of a multimedia deal James signed with Warner Bros. last July, which covers movies, TV and Internet endeavors for his production company.
The film has not been officially announced, and it's unclear when production would begin. James' Cleveland Cavaliers are rampaging their way through the Eastern Conference playoffs at the moment, and he's expected to be part of Team USA's Rio Olympics bid. That would leave precious little time for an entire movie production, especially considering the writers are just now in place.
A more likely scenario would see James filming the movie next summer with plans of releasing it the following year. Plus, as James said last year, there will be tough negotiations with the Looney Tunes to be had.
"We're definitely missing Bugs and Daffy and Tasmanian Devil and every last one of them, so hopefully we can do some great things," James said last year, per Scott Stump of Today.com.
The original Space Jam was a huge moneymaker for Warner Bros., bringing home $230.4 million worldwide. While it was critically panned, Space Jam was a beloved staple for children of the 1990s—to the point it's an untouchable classic in some eyes. There is even a Change.org protest of the sequel.
Despite the trepidation, this appears to be full-steam ahead. TMZ Sports reported Cavaliers guard J.R. Smith is already being eyed for a role, and James said Cleveland's sweep of the Atlanta Hawks may have opened some time in his schedule to formalize details.
"My team is taking care of that. I want J.R. to do everything," James said, per Joe Vardon of Cleveland.com. "Obviously, I've got so much other stuff right now that I'm not even. I may have some time this week. So if I get a phone call throughout this week, I'll let you know. I haven't even brought that up."
As for Johnson's role in the whole thing, he's likely just being his always-supportive self. Or, if the Hall of Famer was thinking sneakily on his feet, a movie career may just be part of Johnson's push to lure James to Los Angeles.
Follow Tyler Conway (@jtylerconway) on Twitter









