
Notre Dame Football Week 1 Spring Practice Report
Spring practice is finally underway for the rebuilding and recovering Notre Dame football team.
The Irish must replace two multiyear starters at a position where previous experience is now lacking. However, as was the case throughout the 2015 campaign, injuries are a key storyline.
Fortunately for Notre Dame, many of the players who watched from the sideline last season—including the biggest name—are ready for the spring session.
Gaining Experience at Linebacker
Ah, March. Both in Major League Baseball and college football, optimism abounds. Sorting through compliments and reality is critical, however.
Nyles Morgan is slated to replace Joe Schmidt on the inside. After a strong year replacing an injured Schmidt in 2014, Morgan simply wasn't a significant factor behind the senior last season.
That needs to change.
According to Pete Sampson of Irish Illustrated, head coach Brian Kelly said that "this is [Morgan's] time."
But it's also time for the linebacker's on-field discipline (sticking to assignments, finishing tackles) to match his obvious physical tools. Thanks to injuries, Morgan will not only have the opportunity but be required to take lots of reps.
Te'Von Coney and Greer Martini are not available this spring, leaving redshirt freshmen Asmar Bilal and Josh Barajas as the primary linebackers along with returning starter James Onwualu.
Morgan, Bilal and Barajas must capitalize on this chance to build a stronger corps than anticipated.
Quarterback Competition Begins
While the linebackers simply hope to survive the spring with its already thin depth intact, the quarterbacks have a three-way competition at hand.
According to JJ Stankevitz of CSN Chicago, Malik Zaire has no physical limitations following an encouraging response to winter conditioning. Kelly said of Zaire:
"Even with the ankle, he didn't back off from any of the testing. We gave him an opportunity not to do some of the testing, and he didn't want anything to do with that. ... All of his numbers were tracking to where he was before he was injured. So we feel really good about him being fully engaged in everything that we do.
"
Zaire flashed signs of his potential before the season-ending ankle injury, and a fully healthy campaign is undoubtedly appealing. DeShone Kizer is the more proven player, but this competition has no end in sight.
The Irish open the campaign on September 3 against Texas on the road. Maybe they'll have an obvious starting quarterback heading into the contest.
But probably not.
"I'd be less than honest to sit here in front of you and say there's definitely going to be a No. 1," Kelly said of the regular-season outlook, according to Tom Coyne of the Associated Press.
Kelly added that Brandon Wimbush, the 10th-best 4-star recruit in the 2015 cycle, will also receive a fair chance to compete for the job.
Injuries: More Good News Than Bad

Zaire is simply one of several key Notre Dame players working back from injury.
According to Scott DeCamp of MLive, Kelly said running back Tarean Folston (torn right ACL) is healed and "in all of our drill work," though he might not participate in full-contact activities.
Tight end Durham Smythe (torn right MCL, shoulder sprain) and defensive tackle Jarron Jones (torn right MCL) returned for the Fiesta Bowl but missed most of the 2015 season. They, like Shaun Crawford and Drue Tranquill—who both tore the ACL in his right knee—are available.
Kelly said Alex Bars is close to returning from a fractured left right ankle, according to DeCamp, while cornerback Devin Butler and early enrollee Daelin Hayes will be limited this spring.
The Irish must replace 13 starters, but it helps when some of the new players were already expected to previously hold those roles—or held them anyway.
All recruiting information via 247Sports. Stats from CFBStats.com or B/R research. Quotes obtained firsthand unless otherwise noted. Follow Bleacher Report CFB Writer David Kenyon on Twitter @Kenyon19_BR.
.jpg)





.jpg)







