
USC Offensive Line Will Be Fine Without Tim Drevno
Offensive line coach Tim Drevno helped transform a thin, inexperienced unit into a decided strength of the USC football team in 2014.
Drevno is gone, reuniting with longtime colleague Jim Harbaugh at Michigan, but the work he did in just one season at USC ensures the Trojans will be just fine up front in 2015.
Rumors abound as to whom head coach Steve Sarkisian will tab to replace Drevno. FootballScoop.com tweeted Friday that Mississippi State's John Hevesy is a front-runner.
Hevesy's offensive line paved the way for Mississippi State to average 233.1 rushing yards per game, 23rd-best in the nation last season. The Bulldogs also allowed a respectable 23 sacks on the year.
Whether it's Hevesy or someone else taking Drevno's place, however, that coach inherits a well-stocked lineup, which members of the unit said transformed in 2014.
"Every practice we were just getting better and better," said Toa Lobendahn, whose efforts blocking likely first-round NFL draft pick Randy Gregory in last month's Holiday Bowl were key to the Trojans' 45-42 win.
For Lobendahn, the Holiday Bowl was the culmination of season-long efforts that have him set on course for a monster 2015. And he's not the only one.
"[We] went from a lot of inexperience, a lot of young guys, to now, [being] back next year at full throttle," Zach Banner said.
For much of the past season, USC started a redshirt sophomore (Banner) and two true freshmen (Damien Mama and Lobendahn). A third true freshman, Viane Talamaivao, broke into the rotation early into Pac-12 conference play.
When two-year starting left tackle Chad Wheeler suffered a torn ACL on Oct. 25, Lobendahn filled the vacancy by moving from guard. Coupled with a late-season injury to Damien Mama, redshirt freshman Khaliel Rodgers found a spot starting on the interior of the line.

The role the freshmen played was "a dream," according to Lobendahn. But, as is to be expected with first-year players, there were growing pains.
UCLA dominated USC up front in a 38-20 Bruins' win on Nov. 22, getting to Trojans quarterback Cody Kessler for six sacks.
Kessler also faced heavy pressure in the loss at Utah, which, combined with a rushing average of just 3.3 yards per carry, rendered USC's offense uncharacteristically stagnant.
Banner said the Trojans cultivated their attitude for 2015 through such struggles.
"We had a couple guys here and there—I’m not saying they were playing selfish—but they had to understand to do their role and not get [caught up] in the emotion," he said.
Learning to play with a more even keel is a quality gained with experience, and USC returning Banner, as well as the quartet of 2014 freshmen, means the Trojans offensive line will have experience to spare in 2015.

USC scored another victory for its offensive line with All-Conference honoree Max Tuerk opting to return for his senior season.
With his first-team selection at center this season, Tuerk completed the unlikely feat of finishing All-Pac-12 at center, tackle and guard in three years.
Wheeler will also work with Ivan Lewis and the strength and conditioning staff to bounce back from his injury.
Lewis' involvement played a key part in the line's development in 2014, as Mama explained.
"I feel good," Mama said following USC's regular-season finale, a 49-14 rout of rival Notre Dame. "Shows how good our strength staff has treated me."
The Trojans line—and its new coach—will have plenty more to feel good about next season.
Quotes obtained firsthand unless otherwise cited. Statistics courtesy of CFBstats.com.
.jpg)





.jpg)







