X

David Beckham Warned over Miami MLS Progress by Don Garber

Rob Blanchette@@_Rob_BFeatured ColumnistDecember 3, 2014

MIAMI, FL - MAY 30: David Beckham looks on as the Indiana Pacers play the Miami Heat in Game Five of the Eastern Conference Finals during the 2013 NBA Playoffs on May 30, 2013 at American Airlines Arena in Miami, Florida. NOTE TO USER: User expressly acknowledges and agrees that, by downloading and/or using this photograph, user is consenting to the terms and conditions of the Getty Images License Agreement. Mandatory copyright notice: Copyright NBAE 2013 (Photo by Issac Baldizon/NBAE via Getty Images)
Issac Baldizon/Getty Images

David Beckham has been warned that he needs to make quick progress with his Miami-based MLS franchise by Major League Soccer commissioner Don Garber.

Garber has voiced his opinion on the creation of Beckham's franchise after two plans for a prospective new stadium were rejected this year, per BBC Sport. 

The supremo has said time is not infinite for the former England captain, stating "this can't go on forever" in terms of the Miami franchise entering MLS.

Nevertheless, he acknowledged Beckham's ongoing effort is evident: "The Beckham group continues to work to try and find a stadium solution that they believe will put them in a position to succeed."

Sports journalist Simon Evans also highlighted Garber's opinion, with matters looking bleak for Beckham and his associates:

Simon Evans @sgevans

Not even the slightest hint from Garber that things are progressing in any positive direction for Beckham's MLS plans in Miami.

Video Play Button
Videos you might like

Garber confirmed that MLS is operating under huge losses, with franchises posting a combined loss of $100 million a year.

But the plan is to expand the competition to 20 teams in 2015—which will include Manchester City's venture with their New York City side, fronted by new signing Frank Lampard among others.

Beckham had previously planned to build a stadium on a city waterfront location, per BBC, only to have his applications turned down twice by the City of Miami, which deemed the building "inappropriate."

Beckham's new outfit cannot enter MLS unless it has a confirmed location for its home games.

Lynne Sladky/Associated Press

The former midfielder's company, Beckham Miami United, has agreed to finance the $250 million project to create the stadium, but local pressures over similar deals have added to the complications in gaining approval.

Since last summer's failures with the stadium, Beckham has been urged to consider a ground share option, as reported by Matt Slater of BBC Sport.

Arthur Blank, who owns NFL team the Atlanta Falcons, has said Beckham needs to find a balance between trying to conform to the traditions of football while also respecting the model of American sports and its financing, per Slater: "It's a challenge Beckham has to overcome. It's important he finds a balance between the commercial side and the special, emotional atmosphere you want for a soccer stadium."

Mark J. Terrill/Associated Press

Beckham could choose to temporally house his club at the Miami Dolphins' Sun Life Stadium, or the more suitable Florida International University Stadium—which holds 20,000 fans.

It has always seemed that Beckham would become an owner of an MLS team after his dedication to the league and LA Galaxy. He has been a consistent champion for the American organisation's cause, and his Miami team would garner even more press for the competition.

The former Manchester United man must now decide if he is willing to compromise to get his Miami venture off the ground, or take a drastic decision about his long-term connections with MLS.

🚨 SPORTS NEWS ➡️ YOUR INBOX

The latest in the sports world, emailed daily.


X