NFLNBANHLMLBWNBARoland-GarrosSoccer
Featured Video
Pep's Legacy Another Level ๐Ÿ˜ค

Tottenham Hotspur Transfer News and Rumours Tracker: Week of July 22

Thomas CooperMay 31, 2018

And then Nacer Chadli made two.

This past Sunday Tottenham Hotspur announced via their official website that they had agreed a deal with FC Twente for the transfer of the aforementioned Belgian attacker.

Upon completion, it will become Tottenham's second signing of the summer following their earlier purchase of Paulinho from Corinthians.

With weeks to go until the start of the season, let alone the end of the transfer window, this will not mean the end of Spurs-related speculation.

In the eyes of many of the club's supporters, bringing in a new striker remains a priority.

Andre Villas-Boas' squad also has some players rival teams will only be too happy to take off their hands, should they become available.

Make sure to check back here throughout the week for all the latest news and rumors relating to Tottenham's transfer activity.

LAST UPDATE: Sunday, July 28

Bale Speculation Ongoing

1 of 4

Sunday, July 28

Following the Marca story earlier in the week (see below), the English media has been increasingly talking up the notion that Gareth Bale has his heart set on a move to Real Madrid.

The Observer's David Hytner has described the attacker as being "distraught" at Tottenham's refusal to consider a bid from Real Madridโ€”one the writer has at ยฃ86.3 million.

Meanwhile The Sun's Anthony Kastrinakis has a different take on an offer the La Liga club are preparing. He has outlined a bid composed of "ยฃ51m cash plus ยฃ25m-rated Angel Di Maria and ยฃ19m Fabio Coentrao."

As noted by the Daily Telegraph's Mark Ogden, Spurs manager Andre Villas-Boas' public stance on the situation has remained largely unyielding.

He is understandably displeased by speculation about one of his best players distracting from his team's preseason preparations.

Villas-Boas has dared not publicly contemplate the prospect of losing Bale. Privately at least, if these reports are anything to go by, that is something he may now be doing.

Friday, July 26

Ahead of Tottenham's game with South China out in Hong Kong, Andre Villas-Boas has hinted that the club is in talks with Gareth Bale about a new contract.

While SkySports.com (among others) are leading with this, Villas-Boas also strongly emphasized the fact that Bale had already signed a long-term contract last yearโ€”on which three years still remain.

If Spurs fans are looking for signs that Bale plans to stay, they might want to check out this Daily Mail article by Mike Anstead, which carries quotes from an interview the player gave to UK-based Match of the Day magazine.

The latest edition of the primarily youth-oriented publication has Bale talking about Spurs' prospects for the season, notably the possibility of the team mounting a title challenge.

Tuesday, July 23

Spanish newspaper Marca have claimed Gareth Bale has told Tottenham Hotspur he wants to join Real Madrid.

The story, translated here through a Daily Mail article by Chris Wheeler, also says that a deal is close to completion.

Elsewhere, The Times' James Ducker reports that Manchester United manager David Moyes has been given the necessary funds to try and sign Bale.

Both reports have come after Andre Villas-Boas has reiterated that the player is not for sale.

"He is a player that we are willing to continue to have, he's a Tottenham player, he's one of the most fantastic players in the world at the moment and we are counting on him for the future," Villas-Boas said at a preseason press conference out in Hong Kong, as quoted by SkySports.com.

Latest Soldado to Spurs Speculation and News

2 of 4

Friday, July 26

John Cross and Darren Lewis of The Mirror are reporting that Liverpool could be about to step up their interest in Roberto Soldado.

With Luis Suarez's departure looking a strong possibility, Brendan Rodgers is said to have identified the Valencia striker as a replacement.

Tottenham will have to get a move on completing a deal for Soldado, or risk losing out on him to a Premier League rival.

Wednesday, July 24

Despite a lot of speculation as to how much Roberto Soldado will cost Tottenham, Valencia's president Amadeo Salvo seems to have made it clear.

"Soldado can go if he wants - for โ‚ฌ30m (ยฃ26m) and under our conditions," Salvo is quoted by the Daily Express' Ben Jefferson as saying.

Spurs' negotiating party (which seems chiefly to have been technical director Franco Baldini) may have known this from the start.

For the rest of us, we now (hopefully) have a clearer idea of how much Spurs have to pay for Soldado. Now we wait to see just how much they want him.

Tuesday, July 23

The last 24 hours has seen several "developments" in regards to Roberto Soldado possibly joining Tottenham.

Quoted on SkySports.com from a press conference ahead of the Barclays Asia Trophy tournament in Hong Kong, manager Andre Villas-Boas confirmed Spurs' interest in the player.

Since then ESPN FC's Duncan McMath has reported on a story originally in Valencia-based newspaper Super Deporte suggesting negotiations between the two clubs may have now broken down.

A Mirror story by Darren Lewis talking up Spurs' pursuit of Soldado also links the North London club with a move for Olympique Lyonnais' Lisandro Lopez.

Monday, July 22

The last few days have seen Valencia's Roberto Soldado come to the fore as the striker being most heavily linked with a move to Tottenham Hotspur.

According to the Daily Star's Paul Brown, Liverpool are now also seeking to add the Spain international to their ranks.

Brown indicates any move will likely be dependent on Luis Suarez's future.

Should the Uruguayan depart, Soldado could become a priority for the Reds. If this is accurate, it may force Spurs to make a move sooner than they may have planned.

Mason Heads to Swindon on Loan

3 of 4

Tuesday, July 23

Ryan Mason has become the fourth Tottenham Hotspur player this summer to join Swindon Town on loan.

The club announced via their official website that, like Massimo Luongo, Grant Hall and Alex Pritchard, Mason will be spending the forthcoming season at the League One club.

Earlier this year the 22-year-old spent time at French club Lorient, but did not feature for their first-team.

Mason has also been previously loaned to Yeovil Town, Doncaster Rovers and Millwall.

The attacker made his first start for Tottenham in a 3-0 win over Carlisle United in the Capital One Cup last season.

In addition, he has made three substitute appearances in European games dating back to the 2008-09 campaign.

TOP NEWS

Chelsea v Manchester City - Emirates FA Cup Final

Grading Top Coach Decisions ๐Ÿ’ญ

Albania v England - FIFA World Cup 2026 Qualifier

Sick England Squad Vid ๐ŸŽถ

BRAZIL-COLOMBIA-MUSIC

Messi Stars in Shakira Vid ๐Ÿคฉ

Tottenham Contemplating McCarthy Offer?

4 of 4

Monday, July 22

The Mirror's Alan Nixon reports that Tottenham are attempting to put a deal together for Wigan Athletic midfielder James McCarthy.

According to the story, the Republic of Ireland international has an asking price of around ยฃ20 million.

Nixon believes Spurs would prefer to pay around ยฃ12 million and add some players to the deal.

Despite Wigan's relegation to the Championship, new manager Owen Coyle will not want to let go one of their prize assets on the cheap.

Pep's Legacy Another Level ๐Ÿ˜ค

TOP NEWS

Chelsea v Manchester City - Emirates FA Cup Final

Grading Top Coach Decisions ๐Ÿ’ญ

Albania v England - FIFA World Cup 2026 Qualifier

Sick England Squad Vid ๐ŸŽถ

BRAZIL-COLOMBIA-MUSIC

Messi Stars in Shakira Vid ๐Ÿคฉ

United States v Portugal - International Friendly

Predicting USMNT Roster ๐Ÿ”ฎ

Lions Cowboys Football

Cowboys Stadium Gets Curtains

NFL star fakes injury at Savannah Bananas game
Bleacher Reportโ€ข3h

NFL star fakes injury at Savannah Bananas game

TRENDING ON B/R