Dallas Cowboys: 5 Key Veterans Who'll Take a Back Seat in 2012
After the Dallas Cowboys decided to put their team into full rebuilding mode, no team veteran should feel safe. Yesterday they announced that they will release guard Kyle Kosier, saving them only $1.5 million, but opening a roster spot and forcing the team to get younger up front.
Last week, the Cowboys inked linebacker Dan Connor to a two-year contract. He’ll compete with middle linebacker Bruce Carter for the starting job, but it pushes Bradie James and Keith Brooking fully out of the door.
No veteran is safe, just ask Terence Newman. He was cut last Tuesday, and Dallas promptly signed Brandon Carr to replace him. It was the team’s version of the Fast and the Furious, but there were no actors or cars, just fast contracts and furious releases.
I’m sure Dallas is just getting started with the overhaul. But as they continue to analyze their roster, here are five veterans who should watch themselves heading into 2012.
Jay Ratliff, NT
1 of 5Ratliff does not have to worry about losing his starting job. Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones made it clear that he believes that Ratliff is the team’s starting nose tackle.
But I still see Dallas drafting a bigger nose tackle to swap out with Ratliff, and there is still the chance of him moving outside. The Cowboys are still open to swapping to the 4-3 or at least adding a portion of that defense to their arsenal.
If the Cowboys head down that road of picking up a beefier guy to play the middle, then I believe Ratliff may very well transition to a defensive end.
Miles Austin, WR
2 of 5There were grumblings after the season was over that Austin isn’t worth the money printed in his contract. But now that the Cowboys have been hit with cap penalties due to his contract, no one is holding back on the perception of his deal.
Tim MacMahon of ESPNDallas.com flat out called his contract a mistake. Austin’s deal is worth $54 million, numbers wise, and his stats do not match the contract.
Last season, he played in only 10 games as he was hampered by hamstring injuries. He caught 43 balls with just 579 yards. In 2010, he barely crossed 1,000 receiving yards with 12 fewer catches than he had in 2009.
If he’s healthy in 2012, which he says that he will be, Austin should have a pretty good year. But if any of the Cowboys young receivers step up, he should probably keep an eye over his shoulder.
Felix Jones, RB
3 of 5Its funny how fans change on players. Jones was the guy who most wanted to take over as starter in 2009 when he averaged almost six yards per carry.
But last season he was hampered by injuries, and rookie DeMarco Murray took over and took off. Jones came back strong after Murray was injured toward the end of last season, but he’s not the same back he was in fans eyes from a few seasons ago.
He seems to be prone to injury and not capable of handling a full load. He’s a change-of-pace back or a third-down option, not a 300-carry-a-year type of runner.
In 2012, I fully expect Murray to become the full-time starter with Jones as the backup. However, if Jones is injured again and Dallas has to lean on a practice squad runner or Chauncey Washington, Jones’ days as a Cowboy could be numbered.
Doug Free, T
4 of 5Free is officially making the move to the right side after head coach Jason Garrett said that Tyron Smith would be the new guy to protect quarterback Tony Romo’s blind side.
Free did not have a great season on 2011. He was solid, at times, but it did not compare to his work in 2010. The change in sides, I believe, has more to do with Smith being a better tackle and athlete than Free. But performance-wise, the Cowboys are probably open to exploring other options if Free’s play continues to drop.
I think that he’ll be just fine. He’s 6’6,” 323 pounds and has enough intelligence and ability to dominate the right side of the line. But if I’m Doug Free, I do everything in my power to become one of the league’s best right tackles.
Mike Jenkins, CB
5 of 5Dallas has already replaced Terence Newman, and there's no reason to believe they won't draft Jenkins' replacement this offseason.
Jenkins is a very good corner with great potential. When he's healthy, focused and disciplined, he is one of the best in the league. But all to often he can get sloppy and lose sight of what he's out on the field to do.
In 2011, he was plagued by all kinds of injuries, but still played fairly well. In fact, when he was on the field, he was the team's best cover corner. The injuries cannot carry over into 2012, and if they do, his starting job will be in serious danger.
.jpg)



.png)





