"I'm done with the guy. He and I have no business," Sonnen said in an interview with Michael Landsberg. "He's cold product men. He's like jheri curls and Pepsi Clear. He's yesterday's news. I destroyed this guy back when he was tough. That was years ago. He's so far over the hill and so far past his prime that it's not worth talking about.
"I'm going to become the No. 1 contender on January 28 and despite what you may think, I'm not going to use that voucher to fight Anderson Silva. I'll be looking at [Jon] Jones, [Junior] dos Santos and possibly [Georges] St. Pierre. I will take that voucher to Dana White and pick one of those three guys. My time with Anderson is done," Sonnen said.
Ever since he almost supplanted Silva as the UFC middleweight champion back at UFC 117, the trash-talking Sonnen has berated "The Spider" from pillar to post at every given opportunity.
The reasons for his incessant goading and abrasive behaviour are due to the fact that he believed the wrong man was declared the winner that night, and thus wants an immediate rematch at all costs.
The rematch that Sonnen has so vociferously voiced is somewhere in the offing. The prerequisite for said rematch, however, is dependent on whether or not he can throw a spanner in the works of Mark "The Filipino Wrecking Machine" Munoz's own harboured ambitions of vying for Silva's coveted crown.
That matchup is slated for UFC on Fox 2, with the winner guaranteed a shot at the middleweight Holy Grail.
Though this latest outburst by the orotund rhetorician that is Chael Patrick Sonnen might just be an alternative ruse to get under the skin of Silva yet again.