Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Henderson, Daley on Nick Diaz, Woodley, and Carlos Condit
Even though they spent close to five minutes knocking each other senseless, Paul Daley admires Nick Diaz.
Earlier this year, Diaz defeated Daley by TKO in one of the most scintillating fights in MMA history. The fight lasted just short of one full round, but every fan will certainly remember the ebbs and flows that took place.
Daley floored Diaz on not one but two occasions in the fight before Diaz finally rebounded to stop Daley with just three seconds remaining in the round.
TOP NEWS

Johnny Manziel wins MMA debut

Lance Stephenson Subs Michael Beasley 😱

Ray J Gets Brutally KO'd 🫢
“We did what we said we were going to do,” Daley said. “We entertained the fans. I respect Nick Diaz. Nick Diaz is a champion who was ready to stand and bang. Neither of us would take a step back.”
For Daley, even in the loss, he delivered the type of performance that he desires to each time out.
“I want to be champion, but there is a little more to this game,” Daley said. “I want to be remembered. I want to be like (boxer) Micky Ward. He’s remembered for the great fights. I want to be in those kinds of fights. I want to be remembered for having great fights.”
Ward, about whom the movie The Fighter was filmed, was in many memorable boxing matches. His most famous was the first of the three-fight trilogy with Arturo Gatti. Ward ended up winning that fight by majority decision.
Gatti and Ward won Ring Magazine’s fight of the year for the contest. The Daley vs. Diaz match-up will likely be the best MMA fight of 2011.
When asked about the battle with Diaz, Daley had a very simple reaction.
“I want more of those fights.”
The fight took place a little more than three months ago, and Daley (27-10-2, 20 KOs, 2 submissions) is already prepared to get back in the cage. However, his original opponent, Evangelista “Cyborg” Santos, pulled out with an injury.
In Santos’ place, amateur wrestling standout Tyron Woodley (8-0, 1 KO, 5 submissions) steps in.
“I was just happy to be fighting,” Daley said, when asked about the switch. “I knew the Tyron Woodley fight would happen eventually. It doesn’t really matter to me.”
The last time Daley took on an accomplished wrestler, the result did not turn out very well for Daley. He was soundly defeated by unanimous decision against Josh Koscheck. Daley also lost to submission whiz Jake Shields.
Because of the losses, Daley has the reputation of not being able to handle a good ground fighters.
“I’ve faced wrestlers before that I have beat,” Daley said. “The ones that have beaten me are wrestlers at the highest level, and I don’t think Woodley’s a Jake Shields or a Josh Koscheck.”
The bout is set to take place this Saturday night on Showtime.
Should Daley defeat Woodley, he already has thoughts on another guy he’d like to fight – recently suspended and subsequently reinstated fighter Nate Marquardt.
For Marquardt, the recent suspension was his fourth steroid-related issue.
“Obviously, he was called out (on steroids) and it’s not the first time he’s been caught,” Daley said, “so obviously he’s been using performance-enhancing drugs when training, fighting etc…”
Marquardt was not happy that some of his MMA brethren, notably Daley and BJ Penn, did not support him when he was recently fired by the UFC.
“As soon as the Woodley fight’s out of the way, Nate can get a hold of my manager and we’ll make the fight happen,” Daley said. “As far as what he said about me and the rest of those guys – I think we all pretty much have the same mentality. If he wants to fight, we’ll fight.”
Daley has a very rational approach to the problem of steroids in the sport.
“It doesn’t make me mad. I’m capable of beating anyone. I’m more than sure I’ve fought a bunch of guys that have been on steroids throughout my career. I think it’s just the thought process going in. They’re cheating.”
“If someone’s walking down the street and pushes your mother,” Daley said, “you’re not going to check if they’re on steroids. You’re going to knock his ass out.”
Should Daley ever have the opportunity to fight Marquardt, the bout would certainly have the potential to be very exciting. That’s the kind of fight Daley wants.
““People get bored of these 'game plans' fights,” Daley said. “I think me and Nick Diaz’s fight did a lot for the mentality of MMA fighters.”
However, Daley does not believe there are a lot of exciting opponents left for him in Zuffa.
“In the welterweight division, I don’t really see anyone,” Daley said when asked who he would still like to fight. “Most of the best are in the UFC, but the majority of those welterweights just play it safe. Not many of those guys go out there and sling.”
One man who has been moving up the 170-pound ranks in Carlos Condit. He has won his last four fights. His recent wins were against Jake Ellenberger, Rory MacDonald, Dan Hardy and Dong Hyun Kim. Condit knocked out the last three.
Even with the finishes, Daley does not think a fight with Condit would be a battle like the fight with Diaz was.
“I think Carlos Condit’s a great guy,” Daley said. “He’s been in a few wars, but I don’t see it being a war with him. I know he doesn’t shoot much. I reckon I’d probably knock him out.”
As for his next opponent, Woodley, Daley sees a very similar fate to what has happened to 20 prior opponents.
“I’m going to knock him out. It’s the same every fight. I’m going to go out there and knock him out. I think I’m going to get him out pretty early. I’d say within two rounds, he’ll be gone.”


.jpg)
.png)




.jpg)
