NASCAR Prankster Lee Roy Mercer Succombs To Liver Cancer on Jan. 21

Sal Sigala Jr.Senior Analyst IMarch 2, 2010

After many reports that surfaced on March 1 that NASCAR prankster Lee Roy Mercer was deceased on Facebook, the news was finally confirmed on March 2. Lee Roy Mercer, who was best known for his prank calls to some of NASCAR’s most famous drivers, was called home to be with the Lord on Jan. 21, 2010 after losing a fight to liver cancer.

Mercer included drivers such as Tony Stewart, Ryan Newman, Kevin Harvick, Bobby Labonte, and Roush Fenway team owner Jack Roush, along with a host of other NASCAR notables on a CD which was rightly named, “Gone Racin.”

Mercer also bottled his own brand of hot sauce, and had his own line of hats and t-shirts that he sold from his website.

It was just last season that Mercer also held a drawing for one lucky fan and his/her guest, to attend Tony Stewarts, “A Prelude to the Dream,“ which included a chance to meet the guest of honor before the race.

According to WARHEAD Records Vice President Jon Holtz, Mercer had kept the illness a secret from his family as well as his friends, and the death came as shock to all those that knew him.

Video Play Button
Videos you might like

Holtz first found out about Mercer’s death on Sunday Feb. 28, which happened to be the same day of the private memorial which was held at a local VFW hall. Mercer served in the US Army from Jan. 1968 until Jan. 1971 when he was given an honorable discharge.

Holtz also mentioned in his statement that he had just spoken with Mercer on Jan. 8, when he had asked Holtz to secure credentials for the March 21 Sprint Cup race at Bristol Motor Speedway through his good friend Jack Roush.

Holtz said that on that day Mercer was in good spirits, and was looking forward to the upcoming 2010 season when he would begin another promotional tour to promote his CD and hot sauce.

According to Holtz, there were some common legalities caused by Lee Roy's death happening out of his home state of Tennessee which caused an investigation and an autopsy to be preformed.

This caused a very lengthened delay to his family's plans for his final arrangements.

Also included in the statement from WARHEAD Records and Jon Holtz was this request, "I am asking all of Lee Roy's fans and friends to please send out their blessings and prayers to the family in this dark and tragic time of loss."

The world of comedy will never be the same.