Conor McGregor Seen Leaving Police Station in Handcuffs After Assault Charges

Rob Goldberg@TheRobGoldbergFeatured ColumnistApril 6, 2018

Conor McGregor poses on the scale during a weigh-in Friday, Aug. 25, 2017, in Las Vegas. McGregor is scheduled to fight Floyd Mayweather Jr. in a boxing bout Saturday (AP Photo/John Locher)
John Locher/Associated Press

MMA superstar Conor McGregor was led out of a New York City police station in handcuffs Friday morning after being charged with three counts of assault and one count of criminal mischief following an incident at UFC 223's media day.

Matt Davis of BBC Sport received confirmation of the charges from an NYPD spokesperson. WBZ-TV provided video of McGregor's exit from the police station:

McGregor crashed the press conference along with a large entourage two days before the April 7 pay-per-view, resulting in a backstage melee that left fighters Michael Chiesa and Ray Borg injured and unable to compete, per Brett Okamoto of ESPN.

Ariel Helwani of MMA Fighting reported the attack was aimed at Khabib Nurmagomedov, who was scheduled to face featherweight champion Max Holloway in the pay-per-view's main event. Nurmagomedov confronted McGregor's friend and teammate, Artem Lobov, earlier in the week, and crashing the press conference was considered "retaliation."

McGregor and others attacked the bus transporting Nurmagomedov, other fighters and UFC personnel away from the press conference, with McGregor captured on video throwing a barricade:

A window on the bus shattered after McGregor threw a dolly at it, causing the injuries to Chiesa and Borg.

Women's strawweight competitor Felice Herrig, who was on a different bus, told TMZ Sports he "put our lives in danger" (video contains profanity).

Sarah Wallace and Jonathan Dienst of NBC News 4 reported McGregor was "en route to face a judge" after he left the police station.

UFC President Dana White had earlier announced he would strip the fighter's lightweight title due to a lack of title defenses. The winner of Holloway-Nurmagomedov would be declared champion, but that fight has been canceled after the New York State Athletic Commission announced it had deemed Holloway medically unfit to compete.

McGregor won his belt in Nov. 2016 with a win over Eddie Alvarez but followed it up with a boxing match against Floyd Mayweather. He has yet to return to mixed martial arts. The 29-year-old has been one of the biggest stars in MMA over the past few years, totaling a 21-3 record in his career.

Related

    Nick Diaz Says He Hasn't Accepted UFC 235 Fight

    MMA logo
    MMA

    Nick Diaz Says He Hasn't Accepted UFC 235 Fight

    Joseph Zucker
    via Bleacher Report

    Winners and Losers from UFC on Fox 31

    MMA logo
    MMA

    Winners and Losers from UFC on Fox 31

    Nathan McCarter
    via Bleacher Report

    Kevin Lee ‘Embarrassed’ by Loss to Al Iaquinta

    MMA logo
    MMA

    Kevin Lee ‘Embarrassed’ by Loss to Al Iaquinta

    Bloody Elbow
    via Bloody Elbow

    White: Barboza vs. Hooker ‘Should've Been Stopped Earlier’

    MMA logo
    MMA

    White: Barboza vs. Hooker ‘Should've Been Stopped Earlier’

    MMA Fighting
    via MMA Fighting