
Celtics Rumors: Marcus Smart Targeting Playoff Return Amid Kyrie Irving Absence
Marcus Smart of the Boston Celtics continues to target a return early in the 2018 NBA playoffs with fellow point guard Kyrie Irving reportedly now expected to miss the rest of the season.
Adrian Wojnarowski of ESPN.com provided the update on both players Thursday, noting Smart is "hopeful" for a comeback during the opening stages of the postseason after March thumb surgery.
The 24-year-old Oklahoma State product expressed optimism about being able to meet that timetable after undergoing the procedure last month, per ESPN.com's Chris Forsberg.
"I am confident [I'll be back for the playoffs]," Smart said. "I had one of the top [hand] doctors do it. The surgery was a success. Like she told me, you might as well go on and get it now. The quicker you can get it, the quicker the recovery."
His presence is even more crucial with Irving out of the lineup.
Smart averaged 10.2 points, 4.8 assists and 3.5 rebounds in 54 appearances, including 11 starts, before the injury.
Terry Rozier may end up starting at the point for Boston, but it's going to take a team effort to replace the backcourt void. That means a larger burden on Shane Larkin as well, with head coach Brad Stevens likely riding the hot hand in crunch time alongside Jaylen Brown in the backcourt.
It represents the perfect time for Smart to start playing like the sixth overall pick the Celtics invested in him during the 2014 NBA draft.





.jpg)




