NFLNBAMLBNHLWNBASoccerGolf
Featured Video
Mitchell Headed to 1st Conference Finals 🔥
LOS ANGELES, CA - FEBRUARY 27: Boxers Canelo Alvarez (L) and Gennady Golovkin face off during a news conference at Microsoft Theater at L.A. Live to announce their upcoming rematch on February 27, 2018 in Los Angeles, California. (Photo by Kevork Djansezian/Getty Images)
LOS ANGELES, CA - FEBRUARY 27: Boxers Canelo Alvarez (L) and Gennady Golovkin face off during a news conference at Microsoft Theater at L.A. Live to announce their upcoming rematch on February 27, 2018 in Los Angeles, California. (Photo by Kevork Djansezian/Getty Images)Kevork Djansezian/Getty Images

Canelo Alvarez Hopes to Fight in August or September After GGG Fight Cancelled

Tim DanielsApr 3, 2018

Saul "Canelo" Alvarez is reportedly hoping to find a fight for August or September after withdrawing from his scheduled clash with Gennady Golovkin.

His decision to back out of the rematch with GGG came after the Nevada State Athletic Commission filed a complaint against him for two failed drug tests leading up to the May 5 middleweight bout, per ESPN. Lance Pugmire of the Los Angeles Times reported he'll look to schedule his next match after the April 18 hearing in the case.

The Associated Press reported results from a voluntary test released last month showed traces of clenbuterol, a banned substance, and Alvarez's promoters said it was because of contaminated meat.

TOP NEWS

Fox's "Special Forces" Red Carpet
Colts Jaguars Football

"I am an athlete who respects the sport, and this surprises me and bothers me because it had never happened to me," Alvarez said. "I will submit to all the tests that require me to clarify this embarrassing situation and I trust that at the end the truth will prevail."

Golovkin said he refused to accept the explanation and had doubts about the Mexican superstar going back to their fight encounter, a controversial draw in September, per Martin Rogers of USA Today.

"Come on, I told you, it's not meat," Golovkin said. "Canelo's team are using these drugs, and everybody's trying to pretend it's not happening."

He added: "Before the first fight, I knew he was not clean. Have a look at the video. He used some pills. It was pretty obvious when his muscles were all with traces of injections. I've known it for a long time."

Golovkin didn't back out of the fight despite his concerns before the cancellation, though.

No further details about future opponents for either boxer were immediately released.

Mitchell Headed to 1st Conference Finals 🔥

TOP NEWS

Fox's "Special Forces" Red Carpet
Colts Jaguars Football
With Jayson Tatum sidelined, Celtics' fourth-quarter comeback falls short in Game 7 loss to 76ers
DENVER NUGGETS VS GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS, NBA

TRENDING ON B/R