
England Women's Manager Phil Neville Apologises for Past Sexist Tweets
Newly installed England women's manager Phil Neville has apologised after sexist tweets he published years ago were uncovered not long after his unveiling at the helm of the national team.
Neville said the tweets in question were not of the "character or beliefs" he possesses in posts released via the official Football Association Twitter account:
TOP NEWS

Madrid Fines Players $590K 😲

'Mbappé Out' Petition Gaining Steam 😳

Star-Studded World Cup Ad 🤩
Sky News reported on the tweets, one of which read: "Relax I'm back chilled—just battered the wife!!! Feel better now!"
BBC Sport's Dan Roan confirmed Neville has deleted his Twitter account since the controversy emerged, and he provided screenshots of the Twitter posts that have led to scrutiny over his recent appointment:
Neville succeeded Mark Sampson as England women's boss after the latter was caught in a safeguarding furore. Sampson was sacked following evidence of "inappropriate and unacceptable" behaviour during his time at Bristol Academy in 2014, per the Sky News report.
Oliver Holt of the Mail on Sunday said he did not believe Neville was being serious, although he added he may not be the fittest candidate to be England women's manager:
The 41-year-old has previously served as a coach and assistant at Manchester United and Valencia, respectively, and he was a part of the England under-21s setup.
The Women's Sport Trust issued a statement in response to Neville's tweets on Tuesday, per MailOnline's Amitai Whitehouse:
"Our National Women’s Team deserve the very best coach available to fulfil their enormous potential and inspire millions of men and women.
"To see a high profile, former professional footballer virtually parachuted in to such a significant role in football without the level of experience required, undermines the coaching pathway and will be a blow to hundreds of football coaches, both male and female, currently working towards their badges at all levels."
The organisation was also disappointed with the "lack of transparency and process" involved in Neville's appointment, which has been called into question following the discovery of the tweets.



.jpg)







