
NBA Trade Rumors: Latest Buzz on Paul George and Potential 2017 Draft-Day Moves
It happens every year.
The NBA Finals end, a champion is crowned and the hoops community expects to catch its breath. It's a fool's errand, though, as the real roller-coaster ride is just reaching the apex. While still young, this offseason is no different.
Paul George plans to leave the Indiana Pacers next summer, according to The Vertical's Adrian Wojnarowski, which all but forces the team to deal him, potentially by (or during) this Thursday's draft.
The Los Angeles Lakers and Cleveland Cavaliers appear to be leading the charge. Both teams are reportedly in the market for additional picks, as well.
Paul George

According to Woj's sources, Indy is asking for "a substantial package of talent and draft picks for George." He also wrote that the four-time All-Star told the Pacers he's leaning toward signing with the Lakers next summer.
It's a weird situation for L.A., a star-hungry team that could catapult itself back into playoff contention with a veteran stud like George.
If he plans to sign anyway, though, why mortgage future assets? Think back to Carmelo Anthony's saga with the Denver Nuggets in 2011; he might've signed with the Knicks that summer, but to ensure he donned blue and orange, New York made a deal at the deadline, weakening the team Melo could've joined.

Cleveland's involvement complicates things for the Lakers. Playing alongside LeBron James for a season could do wonders for convincing George to stick around long-term and challenge the Golden State Warriors.
According to Fox Sports insider Sam Amico, the Cavaliers aren't bluffing:
Los Angeles is watching. According to The Ringer's Kevin O'Connor, Magic Johnson will swoop in if the Cavaliers get close to landing George:
That would be a tough call, as acquiring George would likely cost Los Angeles its No. 2 overall pick. ESPN.com's Chad Ford wrote on Monday that the Pacers "would have serious interest" if a shot at Lonzo Ball, or another prospect, was in play.

O'Connor also alluded to some interest from the Boston Celtics, who traded down from the No. 1 spot to No. 3 while acquiring two additional first-rounders from the Philadelphia 76ers:
The buzz surrounding George is a circus, as is often the case when a top-10 player hits the market. ESPN's Zach Lowe tweeted on Sunday that Indy wants a deal done quickly:
Be sure to keep a keen eye out the closer we get to this Thursday’s draft.
Cavs, Lakers seeking picks

In addition to being in the mix for George, the Lakers and Cavs are also seeking added stock in the 2017 draft.
Per ESPN's Ramona Shelburne, the Lakers have been trying to add another first-round pick for Thursday. They have "engaged at least two teams in the lottery, sources said, as they search for players to improve their outside shooting and perimeter defense."
It should be noted that L.A. holds the No. 28 overall selection thanks to its midseason deal with the Houston Rockets for shooting guard Lou Williams. DraftExpress pegs Los Angeles with Syracuse sophomore Tyler Lydon with the pick.

The Cavaliers are without a single pick in this year's draft—see RealGM's future pick chart if you want to see just how bare the cupboard is—but they're trying to find a way in, according to ESPN's Brian Windhorst:
It's not uncommon for teams to buy their way into the second round. Last year, the Cavs took Kay Felder at No. 54 after purchasing the pick from the Atlanta Hawks for $2.4 million, per Cleveland.com's Chris Fedor.
With Cleveland all but devoid of draft stock in the years to come, it seems almost necessary to finagle a rookie, even near the back of the second round.





.jpg)




