NFLNBAMLBNHLWNBASoccerGolf
Featured Video
They Control the NBA This Summer ✍️
NEW YORK, NY - NOVEMBER 10:  UFC president Dana White answers a question during the UFC 205 press conference at The Theater at Madison Square Garden on November 10, 2016 in New York City.  (Photo by Michael Reaves/Getty Images)
NEW YORK, NY - NOVEMBER 10: UFC president Dana White answers a question during the UFC 205 press conference at The Theater at Madison Square Garden on November 10, 2016 in New York City. (Photo by Michael Reaves/Getty Images)Michael Reaves/Getty Images

Dana White Thinks Floyd Mayweather vs. Conor McGregor Fight Will Happen

Matt JonesMar 16, 2017

UFC president Dana White has offered his opinion on a potential showdown between the company's lightweight champion Conor McGregor and legendary boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr., insisting he believes the bout will happen.

Speculation has gathered pace in recent weeks that a fantasy fight between the two combat sports stars could come to fruition. White, speaking on Conan (h/t Brett Okamoto of ESPN) on Wednesday, outlined some potential complications, although he expressed his belief the deal will get over the line.

"I do think it's going to happen," the UFC chief said. "I think it's going to be a tough deal, because, obviously, there are a lot of egos involved in this deal and a lot of people, so that always makes it tougher. [But] on the flip side, there's so much money involved; I just don't see how it doesn't happen."

TOP NEWS

UFC 319: Du Plessis vs. Chimaev
Colts Jaguars Football
LAS VEGAS, NV - JULY 07: (L to R) UFC President Dana White looks on as Conor McGregor answers questions from the media at the UFC 202 press conference at the T-Mobile Arena on July 7, 2016 in Las Vegas, Nevada. (Photo by Ed Mulholland/Zuffa LLC/Zuffa LLC

As Okamoto noted, White has previously been coy on the idea of McGregor's taking on Mayweather, insisting in January it would be an "epic fail" for the Irishman to take part without the UFC's go-ahead.

MMA journalist Luke Thomas outlined his opinion as to why the UFC may have changed its stance:

Speaking at a promotional event in Liverpool, England, last week (h/t the Observer via the Guardian), Mayweather confirmed he was coming out of retirement to take on McGregor. "Simple and plain, let's fight in June," he said.

Further fuel was added to the fire when a report from Duane Finley of FloCombat stated the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas had been booked for June 10 for a potential meeting of the two men.

LONDON, ENGLAND - MARCH 07:  Floyd Mayweather JR speaks during a Frank Warren and Floyd Mayweather JR Press Conference at The Savoy Hotel on March 7, 2017 in London, England.  (Photo by Dan Mullan/Getty Images)

Indeed, what seemed to be a previously fantastical prospect is beginning to look increasingly feasible. In the same interview, White even offered his insight into how he felt this potential clash of styles and skills would go.

"McGregor is huge," he said. "He's in the prime of his career. Floyd is 40. Floyd has always had problems with southpaws; Conor is a southpaw, and Conor hits hard. When he hits people, they go. Floyd is definitely not knocking him out. That's for sure."

White didn't pick McGregor to win specifically, although he suggested the scrap would at least be "interesting."

Mayweather's last professional bout came against Andre Berto in September 2015, after which he walked away from boxing with a perfect 49-fight record and his reputation secured as one of the best of all time.

McGregor was last in action at UFC 205 in November 2016, when he stopped Eddie Alvarez to be crowned lightweight champion. In winning the bout, he became the first fighter in UFC history to hold two titles at the same time, although he has since been stripped of the featherweight strap.

They Control the NBA This Summer ✍️

TOP NEWS

UFC 319: Du Plessis vs. Chimaev
Colts Jaguars Football
With Jayson Tatum sidelined, Celtics' fourth-quarter comeback falls short in Game 7 loss to 76ers
DENVER NUGGETS VS GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS, NBA

TRENDING ON B/R