NFLNBANHLMLBWNBARoland-GarrosSoccer
Featured Video
Mbappé's Rollercoaster Season 🎢
SAINT PETERSBURG, RUSSIA - JULY 20:  Ezequiel Garay of FC Zenit Saint Petersburg speaks to the media during a press conference at the Zenit Training Centre during a media tour of Russia 2018 FIFA World Cup venues on July 20, 2015 in Saint Petersburg, Russia.  (Photo by Laurence Griffiths/Getty Images)
SAINT PETERSBURG, RUSSIA - JULY 20: Ezequiel Garay of FC Zenit Saint Petersburg speaks to the media during a press conference at the Zenit Training Centre during a media tour of Russia 2018 FIFA World Cup venues on July 20, 2015 in Saint Petersburg, Russia. (Photo by Laurence Griffiths/Getty Images)Laurence Griffiths/Getty Images

Chelsea Transfer News: Latest on Ezequiel Garay and Michael Keane Rumours

Matt JonesSep 30, 2016

Valencia centre-back Ezequiel Garay has revealed he rejected the chance to move to Chelsea this summer.

The Argentina international made the switch from Zenit Saint Petersburg in the previous transfer window, arriving in La Liga with a reputation as one of the game’s best defenders. Speaking with Plaza Deportiva (h/t Tom Olver of Metro), the 29-year-old stated there was an offer on the table from the Blues, too.

“Valencia bet on me a long time ago, and it is a great challenge for me to be here due to the big confidence they showed in myself,” said Garay. “The offer from Chelsea emerged a week before I completed the move to Valencia, but Valencia had been my choice from the very first moment. I wanted to play here because of the importance of this club.”

TOP NEWS

Real Madrid CF v Girona FC - LaLiga EA Sports
Real Betis V Real Madrid - Laliga Ea Sports
Argentina's defender Ezequiel Garay takes part in a training session in La Serena, Coquimbo, Chile, on June 23, 2015 ahead the Copa America quarterfinal football match against Colombia to be held in Vina del Mar on June 26. AFP PHOTO / JUAN MABROMATA

While Los Che possess a reputation as one of European football’s biggest clubs, their start to the season has been a difficult one. They’re currently languishing down in 15th in La Liga, although wins in their last two matches suggest form is on the up.

Garay is looking to forge a partnership with Eliaquim Mangala at the Mestalla, and, naturally, that’s something that’ll take time to blossom. Here’s a look at what he can offer at his best:

Chelsea’s interest in the player doesn’t come as a surprise, as manager Antonio Conte sought to bolster his centre-back options during the summer. Eventually the Blues brought back David Luiz from Paris Saint-Germain, but the Brazilian has yet to totally convince on his return.

In Garay, Chelsea would have landed a much more capable defensive presence, as he relishes tackles, aerial battles and positions himself astutely.

As these numbers from WhoScored.com show, he’s also outstanding on the ball:

Given Chelsea have struggled without skipper John Terry in the side, it’d be no great surprise if they were to move for a new centre-back in January. Burnley’s young defender Michael Keane is one name that’s been mentioned, with David McDonnell of the Daily Mirror suggesting the Blues would make a £25 million offer for the 23-year-old.

However, according to Clarets boss Sean Dyche, Keane will not be going anywhere. "It's just life at Burnley," he said of interest in the player, per Mike Keegan of the Daily Mail. "It's that balance of respect that people recognise some of our players but also were we're not activity selling players. Keano's been really clear-minded through the summer. He is not for sale."

BURNLEY, ENGLAND - AUGUST 20: Michael Keane of Burnley in action during the Premier League match between Burnley FC and Liverpool FC at Turf Moor on August 20, 2016 in Burnley, England. (Photo by Mark Runnacles/Getty Images)

Keane joined Burnley permanently in January 2015 from Manchester United, and he’s gone from strength to strength under Sean Dyche.

As these numbers show, the defender has been something of a lucky charm for his new club:

Although Keane does pose a goal threat from set pieces, it’s his defensive work where he’s really impressed. Last term he was a tower of strength at the back for his side, winning headers, imposing himself on centre-forwards and distributing with the composure you’d expect from a United academy graduate.

So it’s understandable that there may be a reluctance to sell on the part of Burnley. Even for the £25 million mentioned, finding a confident replacement for Keane would be a major test, especially as they’ll likely be battling to stay afloat in the Premier League.

The prospect of working with a manager like Antonio Conte could well appeal to Keane. But it’d be a big surprise if Burnley were to sanction this deal in January.

Mbappé's Rollercoaster Season 🎢

TOP NEWS

Real Madrid CF v Girona FC - LaLiga EA Sports
Real Betis V Real Madrid - Laliga Ea Sports
United States v Japan - International Friendly
FIFA World Cup 2026 Venues - New York New Jersey Stadium

TRENDING ON B/R