
Manchester United Transfer News: Jose Fonte Addresses Rumours Amid Contract Talk
Southampton defender Jose Fonte has conceded he is “flattered” to be linked with Manchester United, although his current club are reportedly confident their captain will pen a new deal at St. Mary’s Stadium. The centre-back is also said to be a target for Arsenal.
United are said to be interested in landing the Portugal international, with Duncan Castles of the Sunday Times having stated last month that new manager Jose Mourinho wants to add experience to his back four.
As Sky Sports News’ Kaveh Solhekol noted, the defender did little to quash the building speculation when given the chance:
TOP NEWS

Madrid Fines Players $590K 😲

'Mbappé Out' Petition Gaining Steam 😳

Star-Studded World Cup Ad 🤩
However, according to Adam Leitch of the Southern Daily Echo, the Saints are “optimistic” the veteran will extend his stay at the club despite the interest from Old Trafford. It’s also noted there has yet to be contact between the two clubs about a possible transfer.
The Gunners are also said to be in the hunt for the player; Andy Mitten of ESPN FC has reported Southampton have received an offer from Arsenal for Fonte.
According to Bleacher Report’s Dean Jones, United are looking to secure the 32-year-old, and Fonte would welcome the move:
In a summer in which United have signed the world’s most expensive player in Paul Pogba and one of the most feared forwards on the planet in Zlatan Ibrahimovic, the capture of Fonte may be a little underwhelming for some. But it’s easy to see Mourinho’s thinking when it comes to this potential move.
While Eric Bailly has impressed early in his career at Old Trafford, his time at Villarreal suggests there will be erratic moments and that he still has plenty to learn. Aside from him, United lack a forceful presence at the back, not to mention a leader and strong communicator.

Since joining Southampton from Crystal Palace in 2010, that’s what Fonte has become. First and foremost, he’s a fine defender. These numbers from WhoScored.com show the Southampton man has consistently been a brilliant reader of the game in the Premier League:
Additionally, in a Saints side that has changed drastically season after season, he’s been a tremendous organiser. He’s been one of the key pillars in the back four since Southampton returned to the top flight in 2012, with a rotating cast around him. To maintain such high standards is no mean feat.
Mourinho has always built sides with a physical base, and while Bailly and Chris Smalling look set to be the long-term partnership at the back, there isn’t depth in the position in a similar mould. Daley Blind is a sweeping distributor, while Phil Jones and Marcos Rojo have both been unreliable in terms of fitness.

At this stage of his career, that kind of role—being rotated alongside Bailly and Smalling—could be ideal for Fonte. As ESPN’s Alex Shaw noted, United will be without their new centre-back for a spell this season, too:
"@mufcshirts Bailly is off to AFCON in Jan for a month. Fonte, 32, would jump at chance to be on the bench for Smalling/Bailly/Blind at MUFC.
— Alex Shaw (@AlexShawESPN) August 15, 2016"
Southampton will be desperate to keep hold of their defensive talisman, though. After losing manager Ronald Koeman, striker Graziano Pelle and winger Sadio Mane, it’d be a huge disappointment to lose Fonte, too. His partnership with Virgil van Dijk was at the heart of their impressive sixth-place finish last term.
However, he may not get another chance to make a move to a juggernaut of the English game. Having sampled silverware with Portugal at the UEFA European Championship this summer, it’d be little surprise if Fonte had a taste for more titles.



.jpg)







