
Deflated Argentina Must Rebuild Without Lionel Messi for World Cup Qualifiers
After the painful interlude of the Copa America Centenario, the long slog to the Russia World Cup resumes for Argentina. But the team that takes up the qualifying mantle may look rather different to the line-up that fell just short in New Jersey days ago.
There is little time for the Albiceleste to lick their wounds following Sunday's penalty shoot-out defeat to Chile. Nor do Gerardo Martino's men have much margin to settle back into action after such an emotional roller coaster in the United States.
On September 1, Uruguay await in Mendoza's Estadio Malvinas Argentinas. Do not be fooled by the Celeste's pitiful showing in the Copa. Coach Oscar Tabarez had made it abundantly clear that the tournament was not a priority for his team; all eyes are focused on making 2018.
TOP NEWS

Madrid Fines Players $590K 😲

'Mbappé Out' Petition Gaining Steam 😳

Star-Studded World Cup Ad 🤩
Uruguay currently lead the World Cup standings after six games, having picked up 13 points so far in a strong start to the gruelling competition. Argentina have recovered from a poor opening but still lie two points back in third. And there is one crucial difference between the two great Rioplatense rivals.
While the leaders will welcome back Luis Suarez to the fold, fit and raring to go having been unable to see action in the U.S., the Albiceleste face their biggest rebuilding operation in a generation and little time to see it through.

The biggest absence barely needs mentioning. Lionel Messi's tearful retirement just hours after the curtain had closed on the final at the MetLife Stadium leaves a gaping hole in the middle of Argentina, who in one stroke lost both their best player by far and their captain. With five goals and four assists at an injury-shortened Copa America, Messi is at the height of his powers.
The reaction to his retirement is telling. The great Diego Maradona publicly stated Messi must continue: "Messi has to stay in the national team. He will go to Russia in form to be world champion," he told La Nacion (per Goal). Even the President of Argentina, Mauricio Macri, weighed in, calling the now-former captain minutes after he stepped off the plane on Monday evening to plead with him to stay, as Goal reports.
But Messi's decision may go further than mere footballing considerations. His anger with the Argentine Football Association boiled over during the tournament with a rare outburst, calling the organisation a "disaster" via Instagram. Since the final, the resignation of president Luis Segura and even a bomb threat at the AFA's Viamonte headquarters barely point to a body which has its house in order.
Indeed, Leo may be just the highest profile of the Argentine exodus. Sergio Aguero and Javier Mascherano, two cornerstones of the national team for the past six years, are also considering walking away from the Albiceleste after yet another final disappointment. "There are several players like me, who are evaluating whether or not to continue," Aguero told Ole (per Daily Mail).
Martino at least will be staying put, for now. The coach's attentions turn to the Olympic Games, which, in the current situation, take on even more importance. Argentina's young stars will not just be playing for the gold medal in Brazil—they may well be auditioning for a part in the new-look national team for the coming future.
A root-and-branch renewal of the Seleccion is overdue. It should have taken place after the 2014 World Cup final defeat, if not for Martino's commitment to keep faith with the generation of players that had battled under Alejandro Sabella.
Come 2015, and yet another final reverse, the trainer once more postponed his spring cleaning. Argentina came straight off the plane from Santiago with their mind on the start of World Cup qualifying, and the Copa America Centenario on the horizon served as another reason to keep the same squad together two years past their sell-by date. But now, it cannot be avoided.


Players such as Paulo Dybala and Angel Correa have long been demanding a place in the team by virtue of their performances in Europe; likewise, Erik Lamela, who did break into the squad for the 2016 Copa but was sparingly used despite his cracking season at Tottenham.
Goalkeeper Geronimo Rulli, defender Mateo Musacchio, midfield talents Leo Paredes and Matias Kranevitter (and even the ostracised Mauro Icardi) alongside Dybala and Correa and more represent the Albiceleste's future in Russia. Those seven players have seen their appearances in international colours severely restricted, if they have featured at all, as Martino's conservative squad selections created a bottleneck of talent underneath the tried and tested faces.
Now, however, the coach has no option but to experiment and bring through the next generation. It is a blow, of course: Any team that lose the services of a superstar like Messi cannot possibly benefit. But it is also a fantastic opportunity for the nation.
Argentina's senior team has for the best part of a decade been based on the Golden Generation of 2005 and 2007, which delivered back-to-back World Cups at under-20 level. But it is time for a new generation to get its chance. The road to the Russia World Cup will not be easy without Messi and Co., but there is more than enough ability to form another great side in the absence of those outgoing legends.



.jpg)







