
Zack Sabre Jr., Seth Petruzelli and Latest WWE NXT Developmental News
Less than familiar names generated WWE NXT's headlines ahead of Extreme Rules, as Zack Sabre Jr.'s health and Seth Petruzelli's impact on the developmental brand made news.
Sabre is not a member of the NXT roster, but he is set to wrestle in the upcoming Cruiserweight Classic. So, WWE has a vested interest in whether the British independent wrestler is healthy enough to compete.
Petruzelli has followed an MMA career with one as an NXT trainer. A recent interview revealed what she's sharing with the prospects at the WWE Performance Center and his thoughts on entering the ring himself at some point.
In other stories, the NXT TakeOver gets a main event, another announcer got cut, and a top Japanese star said he won't sign with WWE.
Samoa Joe vs. Finn Balor Stipulation Announced
1 of 5Samoa Joe and Finn Balor will once again lock horns, but things will be different this time around. As seen streaming on NXT's Facebook page, William Regal announced that the title match on June 8 at the next NXT TakeOver special will take place inside a steel cage.
This will mark the first cage match in NXT history.
The brand has been selective about using stipulations. As a result, they feel special.
NXT also chose to avoid having spoilers leak by making the announcement via Facebook. This could well mark a shift in how NXT approaches revealing this kind of news, infusing social media into its product more.
MMA Fighter Talks Being NXT Trainer, Getting into the Ring
2 of 5Most NXT fans don't know Seth Petruzelli, but they are seeing his imprint on the brand each week whether they realize it or not.
The Florida native is a retired MMA fighter who has been training NXT prospects in the art of striking and grappling, as Damon Martin of Fox Sports detailed.
The most newsworthy quote to come from Petruzelli's conversation with Martin was about whether he would attempt pro wrestling. The knockout artist said, "The only bad thing about it is it really makes me want to do it. Like really, really bad. I spend a lot of time in the ring with these guys, so it makes me really want to do it."
Petruzelli also added, "It's something I've been thinking about in the back of my head, so don't be surprised if it happens."
That's something worth keeping an eye on. WWE loves to have athletes integrate with its product. And he'll be comfortable in the squared circle should the time come to try his hand at sports entertainment.
NXT Announcer Released
3 of 5The NXT roster got a touch thinner this week as the company let go of another announcer. PWInsider's Mike Johnson reported Wednesday that "WWE released announcer Alex Reyes (real name Alex Del Barrio) this afternoon."
Reyes, who had previously worked with the Harlem Globetrotters and Reality of Wrestling in Houston, was hosting NXT live events. His NXT stint was short, since he signed with the company last September.
His release follows WWE cutting ties with Arda Ocal and Rich Brennan earlier this year. The company is not shy about moving on with its announcing positions. It's looking more and more like one has to make a major impression right away or become expendable in WWE's eyes.
Zack Sabre Jr. Suffers Injury
4 of 5Zack Sabre Jr. is hurt, although the extent of the injury is unclear. It was bad enough, though, to have him pull out of an upcoming show.
Pro Wrestling Guerilla announced that Sabre will not compete this weekend due to injury. Sabre tweeted: "Absolutely gutted to miss my first @OfficialPWG title defence this Friday. Sincere apologies to everyone. I'll be back as soon as possible."
It looks like WWE's injury bug extends to even wrestlers who are set to compete in the Cruiserweight Classic. Sabre is one of the bigger names in that tournament, so the company has to be hoping that this is just something minor.
Other News, Notes
5 of 5Fans shouldn't hold out hope that Kazuchika Okada will leave New Japan Pro Wrestling for WWE as Shinsuke Nakamura did this year.
The Rainmaker was recently asked about that potential move in a Sports Illustrated Extra Mustard interview. Okada responded, "Never. Many guys told me I should go, but there has been no offer."
Nakamura will face quite the intriguing opponent when WWE travels to Japan later this year. WWE's Japanese website (h/t Cageside Seats) listed Nakamura vs. Bray Wyatt on both of the Tokyo shows. Asuka, meanwhile, is set to face Becky Lynch and Natalya.
What a treat for those lucky enough to have tickets. All of those matches promise to be thrillers.
And WWE has revealed the dates of the Cruiserweight Classic. Triple H tweeted that tickets are now on sale for June 23, July 14, August 26 and September 14.






.jpg)


