
Manchester United vs. Bournemouth Abandoned After Old Trafford Evacuated
Manchester United's season-ending clash against Bournemouth was abandoned on Sunday because of a security issue.
The Times' Henry Winter reported that part of Stretford End and the Sir Alex Ferguson Stand were evacuated, and ESPN FC's Arindam Rej provided a look at the half-empty Theatre of Dreams:
TOP NEWS

Madrid Fines Players $590K 😲

'Mbappé Out' Petition Gaining Steam 😳

Star-Studded World Cup Ad 🤩
MailOnline provided details on what had caused Sunday's dramatic disturbance:
The Greater Manchester Police later announced that bomb disposal experts had carried out a procedure:
Manchester United provided a statement on the device that was found, along with the next steps the authorities were taking:
"The experts' assessment has now concluded and found that the device wasn’t viable. A full search of the stadium is ongoing. #mufc
— Manchester United (@ManUtd) May 15, 2016"
Assistant Chief Constable John O'Hare of the Greater Manchester Police issued a statement (via the Manchester Evening News) announcing that the apparatus found was "a training device that had accidentally been left by a private company following a training exercise involving explosive search dogs."
Manchester Mayor Tony Lloyd said the events were a "fiasco," and it was "outrageous" that it occurred, per Simon Stone of BBC Sport.
The Premier League announced the match has been rescheduled for Tuesday at 8 p.m. BST, per Mark Froggatt of Manchester United's official website.
"We will investigate the incident to inform future actions and decisions," Manchester United executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward said, per Rob Harris of the Associated Press.
Harris had earlier passed along an official statement from the club, which disclosed details on Sunday's abandonment:
The Greater Manchester Police then announced that military personnel were taking over the operation:
The Daily Mail's Neil Ashton provided further insight:
Chief Constable Ian Hopkins of the Greater Manchester Police had assured the public his division was doing everything in its power to evacuate the stadium safely and successfully:
Not all spectators in the stadium were told to leave, however, as the Manchester Evening News reported:
According to the Manchester Evening News, Red Devils midfielder Ander Herrera informed Spanish newspaper Tiempo de Juego that players were being kept in the dressing rooms: "We are still in the dressing room, and it seems we'll be the last ones to leave the stadium. It has been very tense, and we have all been nervous."
Full Time Devils provided a look at the scenes around Old Trafford following the evacuation:
What was supposed to be a joyous day for both sets of fans swiftly became memorable for an entirely different set of reasons.
United came into the clash two points behind Manchester City with a slim chance of making the top four, while Bournemouth sat 16th in the standings with a chance to move up to 12th with a win.



.jpg)







