
Conor McGregor vs. Nate Diaz 2: Notorious Unretires, Says UFC 200 Back On
The whirlwind ride for the UFC and Conor McGregor could have a satisfactory ending, as the 27-year-old said he will take on Nate Diaz at UFC 200 on July 9.
McGregor tweeted early Monday morning:
However, John Morgan of MMAjunkie indicated "nothing changed in regard to [McGregor's] exclusion from UFC 200," according to multiple sources.
UFC President Dana White reiterated Morgan's report, as the Los Angeles Times' Lance Pugmire revealed White said in a text message that a deal for a return is "not true. We haven't talked [to] Conor or his manager since the press conference. I don't know why he would tweet that."
Brett Okamoto of ESPN.com speculated about how this would impact McGregor:
This fight has been one of the most unusual situations involving a fighter in UFC history. McGregor and Diaz agreed to a match at UFC 200 on March 30, less than four weeks after Diaz handed McGregor his first UFC loss.
On April 19, McGregor sent out a cryptic tweet saying that he was going to "retire young":
White appeared on SportsCenter that same day, per Okamoto, and announced McGregor had been pulled off the UFC 200 card because he was refusing to fly to Las Vegas and do the mandatory promotional activities.
"We pulled Conor McGregor from UFC 200 and we're working on other fights right now," White said. "Conor did not want to come to Las Vegas and film the commercial and be a part of the marketing. He's in Iceland training. Is Conor retiring? Only he can answer that question. I don't know."
On April 20, White appeared on Fox Sports 1's UFC Tonight (via Fox Sports: UFC) and said the "window is pretty much closed" on McGregor being put back on UFC 200:
After nearly 48 hours of silence from McGregor's side, he finally addressed the situation in a post on his official Facebook page on April 21:
It was still uncertain if the bout between McGregor and Diaz would be put back on the UFC 200 card following that message. He did give the company plenty of time to make it happen, as there are still more than two months to go before the show.
Despite all of the controversy and White's initial insistence McGregor would not have a spot on the landmark event, the UFC is still a business. McGregor has been great for the UFC on the events he has headlined, per Forbes.com (via SportsCenter):
Even though UFC 200 has a deep card, with Miesha Tate defending the women's bantamweight title against Amanda Nunes and Jose Aldo challenging Frankie Edgar, the show was going to be built around McGregor.
Hopefully the UFC and McGregor have reached an agreement. The promotion will surely want its biggest star headlining the show this summer.


.jpg)






