
Antoine Bethea Released by San Francisco 49ers
The San Francisco 49ers announced Tuesday they released veteran safety Antoine Bethea.
"Antoine is a true professional in every sense and I have a great deal of respect for the way he has gone about his business throughout his career," 49ers general manager John Lynch said, per Joe Fann of the team's official website. "We would like to thank him for the positive impact he has had on this team both as a player and as a leader, on and off the field. We wish Antoine, and his family, great success in the future."
Bethea told ESPN's Josina Anderson he initiated the process leading to his release: "I asked for my release. I think it was a better fit for both parties. I want to take some time to explore my options."
TOP NEWS
.jpg)
Colts Release Kenny Moore

Projecting Every NFL Team's Starting Lineup 🔮

Rookie WRs Who Will Outplay Their Draft Value 📈
The Sacramento Bee's Matt Barrows tweeted how Bethea's departure adds to an already high offseason bounty of available cap space for San Francisco:
This is the second major cost-saving measure by the 49ers, who formally announced earlier in the day they parted ways with Torrey Smith.
Speculation about Bethea's future in the Bay Area began last April after The MMQB's Peter King reported the Niners were considering trading him.
After being unable to find a suitor, releasing Bethea makes sense for San Francisco. The team saves $5.75 million in salary cap space for 2017 against $1.25 million in dead money, per Over the Cap.
The 32-year-old appeared in 16 games for the 49ers in 2016, finishing with 110 combined tackles. It represented a marginal improvement over a 2015 campaign in which a torn pectoral limited him to seven appearances.
Pro Football Focus graded Bethea 66th (72.5) among 89 qualified safeties.
San Francisco's financial situation gives Lynch some flexibility with regard to Bethea's replacement at strong safety.
Eric Reid or Jaquiski Tartt could move over from free safety should the team follow through on the idea of making Jimmie Ward a safety again.
In terms of outside sources, a marquee free agent such as Johnathan Cyprien, Tony Jefferson or Barry Church is also an option, while the draft will be fertile ground. Even assuming the 49ers target a quarterback with the second overall pick, any one of Justin Evans, Budda Baker, Eddie Jackson and Desmond King could be available in the second round and beyond.

.png)





