
Should Chelsea Part Company with Thibaut Courtois?
Thibaut Courtois is not enjoying a fantastic campaign. The same thing could be said for every footballer at Chelsea Football Club not named "Willian," but the fact remains.
Issued a straight red card in the season opener vs. Swansea City, then suffering a knee injury that sidelined him for three months, the 23-year-old (who received the backing of Stamford Bridge's generalship after Petr Cech was sold to Arsenal) never fully regained his title-winning form.
Labelled one of world football's five best goalkeepers—in conversation among Cech, Gianluigi Buffon, David De Gea and Manuel Neuer—Courtois' struggles are directly correlated with Chelsea's horrific 2015/16.
TOP NEWS

Madrid Fines Players $590K 😲

'Mbappé Out' Petition Gaining Steam 😳

Star-Studded World Cup Ad 🤩
After keeping 16 clean sheets in 35 appearances last year, the Belgium international has just five in 32 appearances this term.

Not discounting defensive frailties (and the ghost-like nature of midfield destroyer Nemanja Matic), Courtois has been unusually shaky aerially, and those woes have translated to his ground game. Far too often, shots that were parried wide last season find themselves dangerously rolling in the 18-yard box.
Furthermore, deciding whether to stay or sweep has found out Chelsea's first-choice goalkeeper on numerous occasions; Edinson Cavani in the UEFA Champions League and Shane Long in the Premier League are two examples of indecision leading to costly goals.
Courtois' obvious potential has kept his job safe from Asmir Begovic, but the Bosnia-Herzegovina international (it could be argued) has played better this season than his superior. Thrust into a difficult situation during the season's first match, the former Stoke City man gave a decent account of himself (despite the team's overall struggles) during the Belgian's three-month recovery.
Interestingly, because of the west Londoners' league position, Courtois' form and Begovic's presence, the 23-year-old's future has come into question.
Discussing the topic with Belgian outlet RTBF, via Sky Sports' Peter Gilbert, Courtois sounded equivocal about his Chelsea future: "I do not say yes, I do not say no. I do not know: I still have three years on my contract. We must see what Chelsea want. It is true that [this season] has changed me. Until now I had always won a trophy every season. We hope that next season will be better."
Understanding the goalkeeper is not a professional public speaker, and under pressure to answer questions during an interview, nothing too serious should be discerned from his statement. That said, though, there does appear to be uncertainly.

"If Real Madrid want Courtois and Hazard for anything over a combined £150m this summer, I'll drive them to Spain myself.
— ChelseaTalk (@ChelseaTaIk) March 24, 2016"

Adding fuel to the fire, the Sun's Alex Terrell reported Real Madrid (who missed out on the signing of De Gea because of clerical errors) are interested in acquiring Courtois, with Chelsea asking for upwards of £80 million for the under-contract goalkeeper.
Regardless of the report's verisimilitude, fractures appearing in Courtois' commitment and interest from outside parties are more than enough to start the proverbial ball rolling. The question then becomes: Were an offer on the table, should Chelsea sell one of their best young players?
In a vacuum, one does not—under any circumstance—sell a top-five positional player. Chelsea are in transition. Without a recognised, permanent manager, parting company with Courtois creates a question mark at goalkeeper; additionally, whichever new manager would probably enjoy working with the Belgian.
On the other hand, were a massive number tabled from Real Madrid, Barcelona, Paris Saint-Germain or any other usual suspect, that would be enough to build upon what Jose Mourinho left.
Moreover, if Courtois cannot see himself playing at Stamford Bridge (or would rather be in Spain), cashing in on a player bought for £5 million, whose form has dipped, seems an optimal outcome for all involved.

Depending on the number, the situation becomes clearer.
Any figure north of £45 million and the discussion must be entertained, but can Chelsea's board justify selling Cech and Courtois in consecutive summer transfer windows, leaving the club's supporters and new manager with Begovic as the presumed No. 1?
Already on thin ice with the Stamford Bridge faithful (unless the Belgian explicitly announces he wants an exit or an earth-shattering fee is agreed), that business is not likely to fly.
Like every other component of this season, Chelsea should reach May and forget 2015/16 ever happened. Mourinho was the primary casualty—and debate on his sacking continues—but the likes of Courtois, Matic, Eden Hazard, Diego Costa, Cesc Fabregas and others should be allowed 2016/17 to save their respective reputations, and the club's.
Allowing players to leave after a shocking season sends an indigent message, almost as if they can be rewarded with expensive moves and new contracts after driving the defending champions into a ditch.
It cannot be that, surely.
Hence, unless somebody arrives with king's ransoms, Courtois and his cohort of underachievers should be tasked with returning Chelsea to the Champions League next season—not given second chances at redemption elsewhere.
*Stats via WhoScored.com; transfer fees via Soccerbase where not note



.jpg)







