
Ian Ayre to Step Down as Liverpool CEO: Latest Comments and Reaction
Liverpool CEO Ian Ayre is to step down from his club role at the end of May 2017 when his current contract with the Reds expires.
The news was announced in a Liverpool statement on Monday, with the north-west club saying, "His tenure has been characterised by leading a radical modernisation across the club and bringing much-needed stability following the Fenway Sports Group takeover in October 2010."
Ayre joined Liverpool as commercial director in 2007 and took up the managing director role after FSG bought the famous club from Tom Hicks and George Gillett in 2010, before officially moving into his current role in May 2014.
TOP NEWS

Madrid Fines Players $590K 😲

'Mbappé Out' Petition Gaining Steam 😳

Star-Studded World Cup Ad 🤩
The Liverpool statement indicates that owner John W. Henry, chairman Tom Werner and president Mike Gordon attempted to persuade Ayre to stay when he announced his intention to step down "a few months ago."
The trio also said that the search for his successor will commence "at some point in the near future."
Ayre, 52, said it was a tough decision to make, but he believes he has chosen the right time to call it a day:
"If becoming chief executive of Liverpool Football Club was the greatest honour of my professional life, then deciding to step down at the end of my current contract is by far the most difficult.
Having the privilege to lead this great club comes with huge responsibility and challenge but one which I have relished and I feel proud of my achievements in the role. I believe the end of next season is the right time to pass the CEO baton on to a new person, who will take on the challenges and opportunities with a fresh enthusiasm and vigour. They will do so supported by what I believe to be the best ownership group in world sport and by a truly excellent team of staff throughout the football club.
"
Ayre can be credited with leading Liverpool from a dire financial situation in 2010 to the stability they enjoy today.
However, he has taken some signficant criticism for his involvement in Liverpool's transfer committee, which has had mixed fortunes since it was introduced back in 2012, shortly after Brendan Rodgers was installed as manager.

He also felt the wrath of Liverpool fans earlier this season when the Reds faithful staged a walkout in protest against the raising of ticket prices, per Andy Hunter of the Guardian.
However, as noted by the Independent's Ian Herbert, he made his decision to stand down before that controversy flared up.
Ayre will undoubtedly remain a major influence at Anfield until his contract comes to an end, but he has allowed the Liverpool hierarchy plenty of time to find his replacement.



.jpg)







