NFLNBANHLMLBWNBARoland-GarrosSoccer
Featured Video
EPIC NFL Thanksgiving Slate 🙌
Oakland Raiders linebacker Aldon Smith (99) walks off the field after an NFL football game against the Cincinnati Bengals in Oakland, Calif., Sunday, Sept. 13, 2015. (AP Photo/Tony Avelar)
Oakland Raiders linebacker Aldon Smith (99) walks off the field after an NFL football game against the Cincinnati Bengals in Oakland, Calif., Sunday, Sept. 13, 2015. (AP Photo/Tony Avelar)Tony Avelar/Associated Press

Aldon Smith Re-Signs with Raiders: Latest Contract Details, Comments, Reaction

Tyler ConwayApr 4, 2016

Despite still serving a one-year suspension, free-agent linebacker Aldon Smith agreed to return to the Oakland Raiders on Monday.  

Adam Schefter of ESPN first reported the agreement, with Ian Rapoport of NFL Network confirming the report, noting it is a two-year deal. Mike Garafolo of Fox Sports reported the deal is worth $11 million with a max of $19.5 based on "sack and Pro Bowl incentives."

ESPN's Field Yates noted on Tuesday that Smith will receive $250,000 for each game in which he is on the 53-man roster in both 2016 and 2017.

TOP NEWS

Colts Jaguars Football
Rams Seahawks Football
Mississippi Football

The Raiders have since confirmed their deal with Smith.

Smith, 26, was suspended Nov. 17 for one year following a multitude of off-field incidents. He spent the first nine games of the season with the Raiders, recording 28 tackles and 3.5 sacks. 

"I had lost my love for the game and it led me to some poor choices, but I am thankful to the Raider organization for believing in me this season and will continue to better myself and grow from my experiences. I look forward to rejoining the team next year," Smith said then in a statement.

The Raiders were also publicly supportive of Smith, saying he was in their "long-term" plans and had been a "positive addition" to the franchise.

“The conversations have been good,” McKenzie told Matt Maiocco of CSNBayArea.com. “Really, it’s encouraging him as a person to continue to get his life right. And if you’re going to commit to this thing, you have to go through some steps. And that’s what he’s going through right now.”

One of the NFL's fiercest pass-rushers during his first three NFL seasons, Smith's career has been nearly undone by his off-field problems. He has been arrested multiple times for driving under the influence, including the alleged 2015 hit-and-run that led to his release by the San Francisco 49ers. The former Pro Bowler was also arrested following a 2012 incident at his home in which he was stabbed and multiple people were shot at his home.

The NFL first suspended Smith nine games in 2014 and then an additional year for his violations of the substance-abuse policy last year. 

It's unsurprising given the Raiders' public support that Smith would choose to return. His NFL chances are quickly dwindling. Not only has Smith been a constant source of frustration off the field, but it's also been years since he's been great on it. After posting 33.5 sacks in his first 32 NFL games, Smith has 14 in his last 27 games.

The constant suspensions have made it nearly impossible for him to get into a rhythm, and he's going to miss time in 2016. Oakland is making a gigantic roll of the dice, but it's a low-risk one given the lack of guarantees in Smith's deal. 

EPIC NFL Thanksgiving Slate 🙌

TOP NEWS

Colts Jaguars Football
Rams Seahawks Football
Mississippi Football
Packers Bears Football

TRENDING ON B/R