NFLNBAMLBNHLWNBASoccerGolf
Featured Video
They Control the NBA This Summer ✍️
Credit: WWE.com

William Regal, Sami Zayn and Latest WWE NXT Developmental News

Ryan DilbertDec 16, 2015

William Regal stepped away from his WWE NXT duties not long after Sami Zayn returned to his.

In the midst of the developmental brand's tour of the United Kingdom, including Wednesday's NXT TakeOver: London special, a health scare forced Regal to exit early. Zayn, meanwhile, is now finally healed from his own nagging injury and returned to action.

In other NXT news, the Lone Star State is set to host its first TakeOver, Solomon Crowe returned to his roots, and a British legend joined the NXT crew in London. Read on for a look at those stories and updates on both Regal and Zayn.

TakeOver Headed to Texas

1 of 5

NXT will represent a key part of WrestleMania weekend. Before The Show of Shows kicks off, the developmental brand will put on NXT TakeOver: Dallas.

WWE announced on its official website that "the highly acclaimed series of WWE Network live specials is coming to Dallas on Friday, April 1, 2016, at the Kay Bailey Hutchison Convention Center Dallas."

That promises to be huge with all the additional wrestling fans in town for WrestleMania. The international fans who travel for that show have proved to be raucous and impassioned. 

TakeOver: Dallas marks the latest example of NXT expanding beyond the Florida borders. 

William Regal Leaves NXT Tour Early

2 of 5

William Regal's neck injury led to him leaving the NXT United Kingdom tour with just two days remaining. He tweeted, "I'm incredibly sorry but I have had to return to the U.S. to take care of some final details of my recent neck surgery."

Regal also had some spoken word shows scheduled, but those will have to be rebooked. 

The injury has kept Regal away from his onscreen position as NXT general manager, leaving a void behind. Hopefully, his medical issues clear up soon with no further setbacks, so he can go back to excelling in that authority role.

NXT is missing its father figure.

Former NXT Prospect Returns to Pro Wrestling Guerrilla

3 of 5

After leaving NXT last month, Solomon Crowe has morphed back into Sami Callihan and has inserted himself back into the independent circuit. The wrestler made a surprise appearance at a Pro Wrestling Guerrilla show over the weekend, as PWInsider's Mike Johnson noted.

Callihan hadn't wrestled for that promotion since facing Adam Cole in 2013. It was one of his most successful stops in the indies, where he faced names such as Kevin Steen (now Kevin Owens) and Michael Elgin.

His stay at NXT didn't lead to the success he surely was hoping for, but he upped his value as an indy wrestler. He re-enters the scene with more buzz than when he left.

TOP NEWS

WRESTLING: OCT 02 AEW Dynamite/Rampage Pittsburgh
Monday Night RAW

Sami Zayn Makes NXT Return

4 of 5

Sami Zayn is back.

After months away to recover from a shoulder injury, Zayn strapped on his wrestling boots once more. He returned at a house show in Newcastle, England, per F4WOnline. Zayn competed against Finn Balor at the event.

He is set to follow that up with a bout in London, but it's not clear if it will air live or on a future edition of NXT.

PWTorch's James Caldwell noted that Triple H said in a conference call Zayn will wrestle at the special. Caldwell, though, added, "Hunter made it sound like the match will not air on the special."

It won't take long to solve that mystery. NXT TakeOver: London airs Wednesday afternoon.

Other News, Notes

5 of 5

A big name in British wrestling history visited the NXT locker room. PWInsider's Mike Johnson noted, "The legendary Johnny Saint is backstage visiting at WWE NXT Takeover: London."

Finn Balor sees big things ahead for some of his peers, including one surprising name.

In an interview with KerrangBalor named a number of NXT stars as having potential to be superstars: Apollo Crews, Jason Jordan and Chad Gable. He also said, "I think someone who I don't think gets enough credit is Aiden English, and I think in the future he's definitely one of the unsung heroes of NXT—and I think he has a very bright future.

Triple H talked English football and played the scout while he was at it.

Talking with Will Mott of ITV, Triple H pointed to striker Andy Carroll as the West Ham United Football Club player who might be best suited for a wrestling career. "He is tall, likes to play it tough with the opposition and has the right looks with the long hair," Triple H said. "He could be interesting."

WWE has taken prospects from off the pitch in the recent past including goalkeeper Stuart Tomlinson, who now performs as Hugo Knox. And NXT has certainly shown itself to be open to prospects from across the pond, signing a long list of British prospects of late. 

They Control the NBA This Summer ✍️

TOP NEWS

WRESTLING: OCT 02 AEW Dynamite/Rampage Pittsburgh
Monday Night RAW
Monday Night RAW
WrestleMania 42

TRENDING ON B/R