
5 Potential Opponents for Anthony Joshua Following Win over Dillian Whyte
Anthony Joshua came through his first real test in the paid ranks, defeating rival Dillian Whyte by TKO in Round 7 to extend his perfect record to 15-0.
However, the 2012 Olympic gold medallist was made to work for his latest knockout victory.
Whyte, who had beaten his opponent in their amateur days back in 2009, had his fellow Londoner rocking in Round 2.
Joshua, though, managed to survive the scare. He finished the bout with a vicious uppercut, though the two heavyweights have yet to bury the hatchet.
The winner told Sky Sports News HQ the morning after the night before: "Everyone I spoke to who was there or who watched it at home had an unbelievable night. I'm glad that we haven't put our rivalry to rest but I got to give him a sweet uppercut to humble him and I can move forward into 2016 with that in the past."
So, what is next for Joshua in 2016? Promoter Eddie Hearn confirmed on Twitter that the plan is to have the 26-year-old fight on April 9.
Here, Bleacher Report picks out five potential opponents.
Honourable Mentions
1 of 6
Considering the bad blood that still exists between Joshua and Dillian Whyte, a third fight between the pair seems inevitable.
However, it also doesn't make any sense to do it again immediately.
A clash for the British belt was big enough to be staged on pay-per-view television. A bout when one or the other, possibly even both, held a world title would be huge.
The bad blood—seen when both fighters threw punches after the bell to end Round 1—can be left on simmer for a while.
Look for Joshua and Whyte to make it a trilogy further down the line, but not early in 2016.
It is also too soon to consider Tyson Fury, particularly as he has unfinished business with Wladimir Klitschko.
According to David Anderson of the Mirror, "Hearn is already eyeing up the winner of Vyacheslav Glazkov's clash with Charles Martin for Fury's old IBF strap and he fancies Joshua against either of them."
That would make more sense in the summer, though. Glazkov and Martin do not yet have an official date for their title bout, so getting the winner back out in April seems unlikely.
Americans Tony Thompson and Malik Scott are names that may come under consideration.
5. David Haye
2 of 6
David Haye (26-2, 24 KOs) was inside the O2 Arena in London to see Joshua maintain his unbeaten streak.
Working for Sky Sports' television coverage of the bill, "The Hayemaker" said: "Obviously this was only his 15th fight, so there was a few chinks in his armour."
As for his own career, Haye is preparing to make his comeback to the ring early in 2016.
The two-weight world champion will take on Mark de Mori on January 16 at the same venue he watched Joshua win on Saturday.
However, the 35-year-old has not fought since beating Dereck Chisora in the summer of 2012.
A fight with Joshua has plenty of potential, but Haye first needs to blow away the cobwebs. A domestic clash would make more sense later in 2016, or possibly even the start of the following year.
4. Eddie Chambers
3 of 6
Eddie Chambers (42-4, 23 KOs) has previously chased a fight with Joshua.
In 2014, the American told Boxing News: "I don’t expect it to happen anytime soon, as there are other fights out there for him [Joshua] that don’t carry as much risk, but I would never say ‘no’ to an opportunity like that. It would be nice."
"Fast" Eddie has a good record and has been in with some big names in his career. Both Wladimir Klitschko and Alexander Povetkin had to wait until Round 12 to knock him out.
However, of late he has been avoided like the plague.
Chambers is well known to British audiences, having fought five times in England during 2014. He has also worked previously as a sparring partner for Tyson Fury.
At 6′1″ Joshua (who is 6'6") would dwarf him, but the 33-year-old from Philadephia would take some shifting.
3. Erkan Teper
4 of 6Like Joshua, Erkan Teper has reeled off 15 straight victories at the start of his pro career.
The German was the European champion until an arm injury forced him to pull out of a defence against Robert Helenius, according to Fight News (h/t Tim Fletcher of Boxing News 24.
He could get a shot at regaining the belt once fit to fight again, although a bout against Joshua must surely be worth more to him financially.
At 6'5" tall, Teper has the height to look Joshua in the eye. His knockout of Englishman David Price in July (as seen in the video above) also demonstrated his power.
The 33-year-old has also beaten Martin Rogan and Michael Sprott, while he proved to have the stamina for 12 rounds with a point triumph over Johann Duhaupas in March.
Teper offers an element of risk, but Joshua is now moving into deeper waters.
2. Robert Helenius or Franz Rill
5 of 6
If Joshua wants to go the traditional route to the top, the European belt is next on his list of targets.
Robert Helenius (21-0, 13 KOs) and Franz Rill (11-0, 7 KOs) will meet on December 19 in Helsinki, Finland, for the vacant strap.
According to Per Ake Persson of BoxingScene.com, there is a line forming to take on the winner. Erkan Teper, who had to surrender the belt due to injury, is next in line, followed by Dereck Chisora.
However, as everyone who has ever stood outside a nightclub in the cold winter weather knows, there are ways of skipping the queue.
The unbeaten Helenius has already beaten Chisora, albeit on a dubious split decision, but has seen his career stall since 2013.
Rill, meanwhile, is also undefeated as a pro. Born in Canada but now based in Germany, he is a stablemate of Teper's.
"Frankie" went eight rounds with Englishman Paul Butlin in July. Joshua, in contrast, needed less than four minutes to get the job done against his compatriot in 2013.
1. Dereck Chisora
6 of 6
Dereck Chisora (24-5, 16 KOs) is the overwhelming favourite to be Joshua's next opponent.
The Englishman fought on the undercard at the O2 Arena, stopping Jakov Gospic in Round 3. It was his second outing in as many weeks, having also recorded a TKO win over Peter Erdos on December 5.
Chisora ticks all the boxes for Joshua. He is experienced, having faced David Haye, Tyson Fury (twice) and Vitali Klitschko, who he took the distance in 2012.
Even Joshua feels "Del Boy" makes the most sense, telling Sky Sports (h/t Jacob Murtagh of the Mirror): "Chisora's been a pro a long time. I need fights I have the capability of winning rather than do-or-die fights where I'm in at the deep end."
Per Richard Damerell of Sky Sports, promoter Eddie Hearn told Sky Sports News HQ: "I think if we're looking at defending that British title then Chisora is top of the pile of options in that respect."
It looks like we can pencil in Joshua against Chisora for April 9 at the O2 Arena in London.
Is Chisora the right choice for Joshua? Do you still believe the Olympic champion will go on to win a world title following his performance against Dillian Whyte?
Have your say by using the comments section.


.jpg)






