
Believability Meter on the Week's Biggest Rumours: Chicharito, Ronaldo, Sanchez
Chelsea are said to be plotting a shock move for Javier "Chicharito" Hernandez and a £70.6 million bid for Cristiano Ronaldo, whereas Manchester United appear to be keen on tempting Alexis Sanchez from Arsenal to Old Trafford.
Our believability meter has been put through its paces this week.
Chelsea Plotting 'Shock Move' for Javier Hernandez
1 of 7
Chelsea are weighing up a shock move to bring Javier "Chicharito" Hernandez back to the Premier League, according to a report this week.
The former Manchester United striker spent last season on loan with Real Madrid before signing for Bayer Leverkusen on August 31.
Chicharito has since scored 10 goals in 14 games for the Bundesliga outfit, and despite his fine form for Roger Schmidt's side, there are rumours the Blues may be able to tempt him away from BayArena.
As reported by Liam Spence in the Express:
"The Blues are in pursuit of a proven goal-scorer, with Diego Costa struggling to recapture his form of last season, Radamel Falcao out of touch, and Loic Remy misfiring for Jose Mourinho's side this season. ...
Since leaving United the Mexican has rediscovered his best form for the German outfit scoring six goals in his last seven appearances, and seems to be a man on a mission to prove Van Gaal he was wrong to discard him at Old Trafford.
A move back to England, therefore, could be an intriguing proposition for the striker they call 'Chicharito'.
"
During his time with Manchester United, the Mexico international hit 59 goals in 157 games in all competitions, setting up a further 20.
His contract with Leverkusen is set to run until 2018.
Believability Meter: Low
Beware of speculation billed as a "shock move," for chances are it will be nothing but fluff.
We have a hard time getting on board with this rumour. After being left out in the cold by Van Gaal and sold to Leverkusen, Chicharito has adapted to Bundesliga football in no time.
Less than three months into his three-year deal in Germany, he's being touted to leave.
Why would he do this when he is playing so well and, in the words of club CEO Michael Schade (via ESPN FC) exceeding expectations?
Chelsea hardly present an attractive destination this season—apart from the money on offer—and we'd be foolish to believe the Mexican wants to move back to the English top flight so soon.
Let's move on, shall we.
Daniele Rugani: From Juventus to the Premier League?
2 of 7
Daniele Rugani has been linked with a move away from Juventus, with Manchester United and Arsenal said to be keen on the defender.
Tuttosport (h/t Aaron Flanagan in the Mirror) suggested the two Premier League sides will battle it out for the 21-year-old’s signature in January.
Fiorentina and Sampdoria have also been credited with interest in the centre-back, who signed for Juventus from Empoli in February 2015, having previously been co-owned by the two sides.
An unused substitute, Rugani is yet to be called upon in Serie A this season. He has played just two minutes of Champions League football in 2015/16.
Last term, the Italian made 38 league appearances for Empoli.
Elsewhere, Sportitalia (via Football Italia) claimed Rugani could go on loan to Napoli in January, with Juan Camilo Zuniga heading the other way.
Believability Meter: Low—Medium
If the talk surrounding Daniele Rugani is true, he could turn out to be one of the greats of Italian defending.
Should Juventus also believe this—and it's fair to assume they do—it is unlikely they will want to sell him so soon after acquiring full ownership rights.
Playing in the same position as Giorgio Chiellini, Leonardo Bonucci and Andrea Barzagli, chances were always going to be limited, but with Chiellini and Barzagli both advancing in years, Rugani's time will come.
In the short term, the fact remains he is not getting chances in Turin and might have to look elsewhere for playing time in January.
A loan to another Serie A side is the most likely option, and we can't see a move to Manchester United or Arsenal occurring. It's worth noting Rugani's former Empoli coach, Maurizio Sarri, is now in charge at Napoli—a reunion that could prove attractive.
Manchester United Linked with a January Move for Ayoze Perez
3 of 7
Manchester United could make a January move for Newcastle United’s Ayoze Perez, according to Luke Edwards and Mark Ogden in the Telegraph.
The Spaniard swapped Club Deportivo Tenerife for the Magpies in summer 2014 and has since made 51 appearances, scoring 10 goals and registering two assists.
Said to be attracting additional interest from Tottenham Hotspur and Arsenal, United are reportedly the side keenest to sign the 22-year-old forward.
As Edwards and Ogden reported:
"Manchester United are looking for ways to increase their attacking options in the mid-winter window and Perez has been watched several times this season, with positive reports returning to Old Trafford.
United are struggling to convert possession into an attacking threat under manager Louis van Gaal, which has led to criticism of the Dutchman’s style of football and is forcing them to search for strikers who would be willing to join them in January.
Perez would jump at the chance to move to Manchester and while Newcastle would be reluctant to sell in the middle of the season, they could still be persuaded if they believe the offer is too good to turn down.
"
The Tenerife-born player is under contract at St James' Park until 2019.
Believability Meter: Medium
When Perez signed for Newcastle from Spain's Segunda Division, he did so for upward of just £1.5 million, per Louise Taylor in the Guardian. The north east side would make a handsome profit were they to sell him to Louis van Gaal's United in January.
As we've seen with the departures of Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa (AS Roma, 2014/15) Yohan Cabaye (Paris Saint Germain, 2013/14), Demba Ba (Chelsea, 2012/13) and Andy Carroll (Liverpool, 2010/11) in recent years, the club is not averse to trading assets during the mid-season window and club owner, Mike Ashley, might be tempted by a bid from the Manchester club.
We can see Perez bidding au revoir to the north east this winter, but will he be leaving for Old Trafford?
The main reason our believability meter is reluctant to tick toward "high" is the sheer number of attacking players Van Gaal is being linked with—examples of which have been reported here by the MailOnline's Simon Jones.
Riccardo Saponara: On His Way to Liverpool?
4 of 7
Riccardo Saponara could be the subject of a January bid from Liverpool, claimed Tuttosport (h/t Uche Amako in the Express) this week.
The attacking midfielder rejoined Empoli in summer 2015, following two years on the books at AC Milan (including a loan back to his former side), where he made eight Serie A appearances.
The 23-year-old has made 120 appearances in all competitions for Marco Giampaolo's outfit, notching 25 goals and 28 assists.
Saponara's current contract is designed to keep him at Stadio Carlo Castellani until 2018.
Believability Meter: Low
A number of media outlets are running with this Saponara-to-Liverpool story.
At the moment, all the chatter seems purely speculative, and our believability meter is struggling to rate this above low.
With a new manager in charge, it's only natural Jurgen Klopp's Liverpool are being linked with winter transfers, and it's safe to assume we will see some new faces in January.
However, in Saponara's case, Empoli are giving the impression they don't want to sell. As Calciomercato reported (h/t Amako in the Express), sporting director Marcello Carli said in October:
"No-one will move in January. We’ll keep all our players. Then in June we’ll evaluate any offers that come in, in line with club policy. We’re used to rumours about our players, it means we’re doing well. Saponara in particular is an important player for us, and his absence [through suspension] is weighing heavily.
"
Of course, Empoli might be taking this line in order to drive up the asking price for their seemingly in-demand player.
Let's remember Saponara rejoined the Azzurri less than five months ago and has started every Serie A game for the side (apart from a three-match suspension) since. He has scored four and assisted three and is key member of Giampaolo's side.
We don't think he will move in January, but watch out for his name as summer approaches.
Manchester United Keen on Arsenal's Alexis Sanchez
5 of 7
Manchester United want to sign Arsenal’s Alexis Sanchez in January, according to Don Balon (h/t Bruce Archer in the Express).
The Chilean has made 69 appearances in all competitions since joining the Gunners from Barcelona in summer 2014, hitting 32 goals and setting up a further 16.
An instant hit in the English top flight, Sanchez was voted as Arsenal fans' Player of the Season at the end of his first campaign with the club.
However, he is now being linked with a move to Old Trafford.
As Archer reported:
"According to Spanish website Don Balon, Louis van Gaal has told the 26-year-old that he could be the 'cornerstone' of the United side.
United famously signed Robin van Persie from Arsenal in 2012 however only 15 players have ever played for both clubs.
A move would seem unlikely with Sanchez seemingly settled in London and having turned down a move to Liverpool because he wanted to live in the capital.
"
The Chile international is under contract at the Emirates until 2018.
Believability Meter: Low
We've tinkered with the engine, and we've turned it off and on again, but no, our believability meter won't go any lower than this.
If it could, it would.
We are used to a large majority of transfer rumours lacking substance, but this one is phonier than most.
As recently as October, when Sanchez was being linked with Real Madrid, he was quoted by the Independent's Simon Rice, as saying, "I have no idea what the media are saying, but I feel comfortable at Arsenal. I'm happy with my team-mates and the city of London is beautiful. I'm not going to change, I'm very happy."
Has that changed? We'd strongly assume it hasn't.
Arsene Wenger's side have a realistic chance of winning the Premier League this term, Sanchez is already the cornerstone of a team in the top flight and there's no way the club would sanction a move to Old Trafford.
Alex Grimaldo: Ready to Leave Barcelona
6 of 7
Barcelona B captain Alex Grimaldo could be ready to leave Camp Nou, claimed Ed Malyon in the Mirror this week.
It seems the 20-year-old is not willing to sign a new deal with Luis Enrique's side, according to the club's sporting director, Robert Fernandez.
Set to be out of contract at the end of the 2015/16 season, Arsenal and Bayern Munich have been credited with interest in the young left-back.
As Malyon reported:
"Barcelona B were relegated from Spain's Segunda last season, meaning Grimaldo has been left to ply his trade in the third tier of Spanish football.
The Nou Camp club's sporting director, Robert Fernandez, this week claimed the full-back isn't willing to sign a new deal.
But MirrorFootball understands that Barca would be his first choice if he can receive guarantees over a promotion to the first team.
If not, then former Barcelona boss Pep Guardiola is interested in signing him for the Bundesliga side while Arsenal are also keeping tabs on the situation.
"
Grimaldo joined Barcelona's youth academy in 2008, signing from Valencia. He does have the option to add one further year to his current contract with the Catalan club.
Believability Meter: Medium—High
With a deal that expires in June and the fact he's said to be reluctant to pen an extension, there is every chance Grimaldo could soon exit Barcelona.
As reported on ESPN FC, Grimaldo was stung in August when Enrique did not promote him to the Barca first team despite the club's injury crisis in defence, telling Catalan radio station RAC1:
"Luis Enrique has never said a word to me. I've had no contact with him. Nor do I have anything to speak about with him either. I work with my coach [Gerard Lopez]. I get on very well with him, he helps me with everything and helps me to be better. The guy higher up [Enrique] can be with his players, and I'll be with my team.
"
Ouch.
With 86 performances for Barca B over the last three years and as captain of the side, Grimaldo's desire for first-team football—and to play at a level higher than the Spanish third division—is understandable.
If he isn't offered assurances about his future, Arsenal or Bayern Munich would present very interesting opportunities. It's fair to assume a number of other sides would also come knocking.
Chelsea Ready to Pay Big for Cristiano Ronaldo
7 of 7
Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich is willing to pay £70.6 million to bring Cristiano Ronaldo to Stamford Bridge.
These rumours originated in AS (h/t Mark Brus in Metro), where it is claimed Abramovich would sell the likes of Eden Hazard, Oscar or Nemanja Matic in order to afford the Real Madrid star.
As Brus also reported:
"Chelsea have endured a nightmare start to the 2015/16 season, and Abramovich is determined to spend his way out of trouble.
Ronaldo has long been regarded as one of the best players in the world, and has shown what he can do in the Premier League during six superb seasons at Manchester United earlier in his career.
The Portugal international has recently been linked with a summer move to Ligue 1 big-spenders Paris Saint-Germain.
"
Elsewhere, Marca (h/t Sport Witness, via Metro's Sean Kearns) insisted this week Ronaldo "has his heart set" on a return to Manchester United.
Ronaldo’s current contract at the Bernabeu will expire in 2018.
Believability Meter: Low
The buzz surrounding Ronaldo these last few weeks has been centered on Paris Saint-Germain, with the rumours suggesting a move to the French capital is growing ever more likely.
French newspaper Le Parisien (h/t Luke Augustus in the MailOnline) even hinted that the 30-year-old told PSG manager Laurent Blanc "I would love to work with you" in that whisper following a Champions League tie between the two sides.
Whispers aside, what about Chelsea—do they stand a chance of wooing the Portuguese?
We think not.
PSG is the most realistic destination for Ronaldo—if he leaves Madrid at all. With Zlatan Ibrahimovic nearing the end of his contract at Parc des Princes and no new offers yet on the table (publicly, at least), Ronaldo would become the main man in Paris and Ligue 1. He would be all but guaranteed trophies and a chance to add jaw-dropping scoring statistics at another club and experience of another league to his glittering CV.
Chelsea are in a bad state, Jose Mourinho's future is anything but clear and we think the Ronaldo and Abramovich story has emerged simply because it's an easy story to write; Chelsea apparently need a saviour, Ronaldo—who knows Mourinho from their time together in Madrid—could be that knight in shining armour and so on and so forth.
It's just how these stories work.
Although we are certain Ronaldo would buy into the knight-in-shining-armour image, we don't buy into the Chelsea gossip one bit.
All player and contract information comes from Transfermarkt unless stated otherwise.






.jpg)







