
Aston Villa Draw No Disaster as Fernando and Navas Show Worth to Manchester City
Manchester City played out a 0-0 draw with bottom–placed Aston Villa on Sunday—a result that halts their recent progress as they attempt to reclaim the Premier League title.
Arsenal’s draw with Tottenham Hotspur later in the day means City remain top on goal difference, but Leicester City and Manchester United closed the gap with wins over the weekend.
It was a hugely frustrating afternoon for Blues boss Manuel Pellegrini, who saw his side miss a number of close-range chances and dominate a Villa side that found added stoicism in new manager Remi Garde’s first match in charge.
TOP NEWS

Madrid Fines Players $590K 😲

'Mbappé Out' Petition Gaining Steam 😳

Star-Studded World Cup Ad 🤩

Villa had been in dreadful form coming into the game, losing seven straight matches and failing to win in 10 league games. This, their first clean sheet at home all season, represented progress despite their inability to create any significant chances.
Indeed, Garde already appears to have had an impact, making them more organised than at any stage of previous manager Tim Sherwood’s tenure.
It’s a result that stunts some of the momentum City have built up in recent weeks, but there were plenty of positives for them to take from the game.
Aside from some profligate finishing, there was very little wrong with City’s performance. Their passing was quick and inventive, their shape again looked solid and they carved out clear-cut openings.
"STATS: All the numbers from #villavcity... #mcfc pic.twitter.com/lKmhNsRirb
— Manchester City FC (@MCFC) November 8, 2015"
Quite how they contrived to lose points will remain a mystery, but it’s a result that requires context. City’s form over the last four weeks, a period in which they have been without the injured David Silva and Sergio Aguero, their two most important players, has been excellent, winning five and drawing two of their seven matches in all competitions.
They lead the Premier League, albeit narrowly, have already secured their place in the Champions League last 16 and can look forward to a decent home draw against Hull City in the quarter-finals of the Capital One Cup in December.
"[Villa] didn’t have one shot on our goal," Pellegrini said after the game. "It is not easy when you try to attack when you have 60 metres behind you and they are sitting back.
“The first half we didn’t create one chance, but after that we dominated the game. We were very unlucky with the three or four clear chances we had."
""We did enough to win" says Pellegrini. Manager reaction: https://t.co/y92T7JzMsd #villavcity #mcfc pic.twitter.com/Ew04kzKKGJ
— Manchester City FC (@MCFC) November 8, 2015"
"Fewer than any other team in the Premier League. https://t.co/eZJ77CcT1O #MOTD2 pic.twitter.com/ZnemGMoRCb
— Match of the Day (@BBCMOTD) November 8, 2015"
It was another good game for two of City most disparaged players, both of whom continued their fine recent form.
Jesus Navas’ introduction late in the first half after Wilfried Bony was withdrawn with a hamstring injury gave City added impetus down the right-hand side and was the latest example of his growing confidence.
Navas faced criticism earlier in the season after poor showings against Watford and West Ham United, but in recent weeks he’s emerged as one of City’s most important players. Pellegrini, quite rightly, values his input and invariably finds a way of getting him on the pitch.
The Spaniard caused havoc down the right and laid on two clear-cut chances—one for Raheem Sterling and one for Kevin De Bruyne.

De Bruyne, who has been exceptional since his move from Wolfsburg in the summer, will regret his decision to try and flick the ball into the net from a few yards out rather than simply place it with the side of his foot.
Fernando, who was castigated during last season because of poor form, is repairing his reputation with each passing game and is becoming an essential component of the City team.
Having recovered from the groin injury that restricted his movement at the end of last season, he’s now finding his best form. The former Porto player, who was considered one of Europe’s finest out-and-out defensive midfielders before his arrival at the Etihad Stadium in summer 2014, sat deep, broke up play, made vital blocks and interceptions and, but for the crossbar, could have scored the winner in the closing minutes with a close-range header.

Pellegrini hinted afterward that Aguero could return from his injury layoff after the international break—a huge boost to a squad beset with fitness problems exacerbated by Bony's hamstring trouble.
Aguero, who suffered a Grade 2 hamstring tear during Argentina’s 2-0 defeat to Ecuador on Oct. 8, hasn’t featured in any of City’s last seven games but could be fit to face Liverpool on Nov. 21.
"I hope Sergio, Samir Nasri and Pablo Zabaleta will do their last work with the physio and next Monday will start working with the squad," he said.
"We will see in the way [Aguero] improves this week, but I think he can be [fit after the international break]. It will be easier for us to have a striker."
Rob Pollard is Bleacher Report's lead Manchester City correspondent and will be following the club from a Manchester base throughout the 2015/16 season. All quotes were obtained firsthand unless otherwise noted. Follow him on Twitter @RobPollard_.



.jpg)







