
Tony Stewart to Retire After 2016 Season: Latest Details and Reaction
Tony Stewart, the author of one of the best NASCAR careers in the history of the sport, announced his Sprint Cup career will come to an end after the 2016 season.
"Next year will be my last year in the Sprint Cup Series," Stewart said Wednesday, according to Jeff Gluck of USA Today. He added, "I am not retiring from racing, just retiring from Sprint Cup racing," per Motor Racing Network.
"This was 100 percent my decision," said Stewart, per Kelly Crandall of Popular Speed. "There's not one factor that led to this other than I felt like it was the right time."
Stewart said he won't return to TV, noting it's a good role for Jeff Gordon, per Crandall. However, Stewart said "Maybe. Probably," when asked if he'd ever race sprint cars again, per Gluck.
NASCAR CEO and Chairman Brian France provided a statement on Stewart's decision via Facebook:
"When I think of Tony Stewart, unmatched passion and a pure love of the sport come to mind. He has won championships and millions of fans. But he has given back so much more, and that’s what I admire most. Today’s news was bittersweet for all, but we know Tony will continue to be a big part of our sport in his roles as a team and track owner. On behalf of the entire NASCAR family, I thank Tony for his many years of excellence and competitiveness, and wish him nothing but the best in his final season as a driver in the Sprint CupSeries.
"
Jim Utter of MotorSport.com was the first to report Stewart would step away.
Nate Ryan of NBC Sports reported Clint Bowyer will take over Stewart’s driver’s seat for the No. 14 Chevrolet at Stewart-Haas Racing starting in 2017. Bowyer “will be released from his contract with Michael Waltrip Racing at season’s end,” according to Utter.
Stewart has been a featured player on the racing scene for nearly two decades. He is a three-time Sprint Cup champion. He made his NASCAR debut in 1996 (in what would now be considered the Xfinity Series) and won IndyCar Rookie of the Year honors in 1996, the IndyCar title in 1997 and Sprint Cup Rookie of the Year honors in 1999.
His fellow drivers Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Jeff Gordon recognized his greatness following the retirement announcement:
In all, Stewart’s 48 series victories put him in a tie for 13th on the all-time wins list, and ESPN Stats & Info put Stewart's three Sprint Cup championships in historical perspective:
ESPN Stats & Info also noted the racer is in impressive company:
However, at the age of 44, Stewart is not the same racer who dominated in his prime. He last won in 2013 at Dover and failed to qualify for the 16-driver field for the Chase (he is currently 25th in the standings) this year. He doesn’t even have a top-five finish this season.
Dustin Long of NBC Sports highlighted the ups and downs of Stewart’s recent career and pointed out that the racer missed 15 starts in 2013 with a broken right leg. He then "missed three races last year after he was involved in a sprint car accident that killed Kevin Ward Jr. A grand jury cleared Stewart of any wrongdoing. Ward’s family has filed a wrongful death lawsuit against Stewart.”
Stewart admitted he has not been the same following the incident during an appearance at Texas Motor Speedway, per Utter:
"I don’t think I’ll ever be the same from what happened the last two years. I don’t know how you could be, I don’t know how anybody ever could be back to exactly the way they were. But not being back exactly the same that I was doesn’t mean that I haven’t become better in some way. I think there’s always positives that come out of every scenario.
"
Stewart added that his health and the tragedy surrounding Ward had nothing to do this decision, per Jordan Bianchi of SB Nation. Along those lines, Jenna Fryer of the Associated Press offered thoughts on why Stewart is stepping away now:
"Stewart years ago figured out the financials to determine how long he needed to race in NASCAR. He understood the timetables put on every contract signed with a sponsor. He kept an eye on the free agent market to determine candidates to succeed him in the No. 14 Chevrolet.
In other words, Stewart had an exit plan.
Why? Because fun for Stewart is riding a four-wheeler around Eldora Speedway, the dirt track he owns in Ohio, to make sure the show is going off without a hitch. Fun for Stewart is crisscrossing Ohio during a rare off week in NASCAR to oversee the All Star Circuit Champions of Sprint Car series he purchased in January.
His enjoyment has never been found at a NASCAR race, and this spiral he's been stuck in the last three seasons did nothing more than confirm to Stewart that it's time to go do something else.
"
Even if Stewart didn't always find enjoyment at a NASCAR race, he usually found success. His career has been filled with a number of triumphs and tribulations, but he is surely bound for the Hall of Fame as one of the best racers of his generation.

.jpg)







