
David Silva Injury Hands Manchester City Early Chance to Assess Kevin De Bruyne
Manuel Pellegrini confirmed on Friday that David Silva will miss Manchester City’s trip to Crystal Palace on Saturday because of an ankle injury.
It’s a huge blow for the Blues, who are looking to continue their 100 per cent start to the new Premier League season against Alan Pardew’s in-form side.
“He is out for tomorrow, and maybe it is a risk for him to take another kick in the same place. So it is better for him for rest a couple of days,” Pellegrini told reporters at City’s academy facility.
TOP NEWS

Madrid Fines Players $590K 😲

'Mbappé Out' Petition Gaining Steam 😳

Star-Studded World Cup Ad 🤩
Asked if he would be fit to face Juventus in City’s opening Champions League group game of the season on Tuesday, Pellegrini said: “I hope. We will see during the weekend. I hope he will be fit on Tuesday.”
Given the quality of Silva’s performances so far this season, it’s bad news for City. Palace are playing superbly, and with Pellegrini desperate to capitalise on his side’s good form and consolidate their early lead at the top of the Premier League table, Silva, ideally, would have started at Selhurst Park.

With Raheem Sterling and Jesus Navas offering a twin threat on either flank so far this season, stretching sides with their pace and running ability, Silva has found more room than before, and he’s revelled. He’s arguably been the best player in England during the opening month of the campaign, making it something of a surprise he missed out on the Player of the Month award for August.
The one silver lining for Pellegrini, though, is that Silva’s injury presents Kevin De Bruyne, the club’s record signing, with an opportunity to impress in his favoured position.
The 24-year-old Belgian, signed from Wolfsburg for £55 million (via BBC Sport), excelled as a No. 10 in the Bundesliga last season. He will now perhaps be given a chance to show what he can do earlier than he otherwise would.
Pellegrini’s usual policy is to ease new arrivals into the side, particularly if his existing players are performing well. With the exception of a poor first half against Watford, Navas has been superb, as has Sterling—who looks very comfortable in his new surroundings—and so De Bruyne’s chances of starting at Selhurst Park looked slim, despite his big-money move. Silva’s injury now looks to have altered things.
De Bruyne assisted 20 goals—a Bundesliga record—and scored 10 playing in that position for Wolfsburg in 2014/15. He could now have an opportunity to show his new manager he can assume the mantle on a more permanent basis if he is selected for the game against Palace.

There’s little doubt that Silva is City’s best option for the role when everyone is fit. He’s the most effective attacking player at the club, with vision, guile and superb passing ability marking him out as City’s chief threat.
However, given the Spaniard is now 29, De Bruyne may well be seen as his long-term heir apparent. Asked how happy he was to sign a player of De Bruyne’s calibre, Pellegrini said he brings some much-needed attributes to his squad.

“Very happy because I think he is a very important player,” he said.
“He has some characteristics same as Raheem that we need in our squad. He is 100 per cent fit. His position is easy to settle in our team, so I think he will be a very important player during the year.
“He is a very young player—24 years old. I think he improved a lot since he was here in the Premier League, compared with his last season in Germany.
“I always say when good players arrive to a good team with also very good players like David, Kun (Sergio Aguero), Yaya (Toure), just to name some, they will continue improving. That is why he is here, same as Raheem, Fabian Delph and Nicolas Otamendi.”
De Bruyne’s eye for a pass is sensational. He thrives on laying chances on for others—an unselfish, creative player who will bring some added quality to a forward line already brimming with brilliance.
Against Palace, who sit second in the table and have looked excellent defensively for much of the first month, City will need some guile. De Bruyne is capable of picking the lock with a slide-rule pass or ball in from a wide area. Given the competition in City's squad, he will want to hit the ground running.
His preparations, however, haven't been ideal. Almost immediately after signing he travelled with Belgium to play in their two latest international matches, meaning his time spent with his new team-mates has been minimal.
Pellegrini admitted it wasn't ideal: "It is not the best way to arrive, to go to his national squad. But things happen, and it doesn’t matter because he must play for Belgium.
"In his position, it is more easy maybe to settle in our team. It is different if you play as a line back with special work. We will see. He needs maybe more time, but if we need him at this moment, he can play without problems."
Silva's injury may have dampened the mood around the club slightly, but his suffering could be De Bruyne's gain. What's clear, though, is that when everyone is fit, Pellegrini's front line has a wonderful mix of pace, power and speed of thought. Very few Premier League sides can match their firepower.
"Enjoyed my first training sessions, can't wait to play my first game for @MCFC ! pic.twitter.com/QzYNiNwTEX
— Kevin De Bruyne (@DeBruyneKev) September 11, 2015"
Meanwhile, City are also without Gael Clichy, Pablo Zabaleta and Fabian Delph for the game with Palace, but Pellegrini allayed any fears over Bacary Sagna’s involvement against Pardew’s men.
Sagna had been substituted at half-time in France’s match with Israel this week, having limped through the final 10 minutes of the first-half with what looked like an ankle knock, but he is fit and ready to play.
Pellegrini said there was “no problem” with the right-back's ankle, and he will almost certainly start the match. It’s a boost for the Chilean, who looked set to go into the game without three of his four first-choice full-backs available.
Sagna’s form has been outstanding so far this season, and he will be relieved he now has the chance to continue consolidating his position in the side in the absence of Zabaleta.
"24 hours to go! #palacevcity #mcfc pic.twitter.com/rZ46qZENVv
— Manchester City FC (@MCFC) September 11, 2015"
Rob Pollard is Bleacher Report's lead Manchester City correspondent and will be following the club from a Manchester base throughout the 2015/16 season. All quotes were obtained firsthand unless otherwise noted. Follow him on Twitter: @RobPollard.



.jpg)







