NFLNBANHLMLBWNBARoland-GarrosSoccer
Featured Video
Mbappé's Rollercoaster Season 🎢
MANCHESTER, ENGLAND - OCTOBER 05:  Marcos Rojo of Manchester United celebrates his team's second goal during the Barclays Premier League match between Manchester United and Everton at Old Trafford on October 5, 2014 in Manchester, England.  (Photo by Michael Regan/Getty Images)
MANCHESTER, ENGLAND - OCTOBER 05: Marcos Rojo of Manchester United celebrates his team's second goal during the Barclays Premier League match between Manchester United and Everton at Old Trafford on October 5, 2014 in Manchester, England. (Photo by Michael Regan/Getty Images)Michael Regan/Getty Images

Manchester United Transfer News: Marcos Rojo Rejects 3 Clubs, Latest Rumours

Matt JonesSep 4, 2015

Manchester United centre-back Marcos Rojo rejected three offers to leave Old Trafford in the final stages of the transfer window to stay and fight for his place at the club.

According to Sport Witness, Marseille, Monaco and Valencia were all keen on signing the Argentina international, who has yet to feature for the Red Devils so far this season. But Rojo decided to stick it out at United.

MANCHESTER, ENGLAND - FEBRUARY 03: Marcos Rojo of Manchester United celebrates scoring their second goal during the FA Cup Fourth round replay match between Manchester United and Cambridge United at Old Trafford on February 3, 2015 in Manchester, England.

TOP NEWS

Real Madrid CF v Girona FC - LaLiga EA Sports
Real Betis V Real Madrid - Laliga Ea Sports

Sport Witness quoted a source close to the player who suggested that despite reports to the contrary, talk of a breakdown in relationship between manager Louis van Gaal and the player is unfounded: “There is no problem with the manager. Marcos wants to recover his position in the first 11 and nothing else. Louis Van Gaal trusts Marcos and that’s all that matters.”

As noted by Sam Pilger of FourFourTwo, getting rid of Rojo at such a late stage in the window would have been a peculiar move for the Red Devils:

The centre-back was quietly impressive in his first term at Old Trafford and after a season getting used to the abrasive nature of the Premier League, seemed primed for a better campaign this time round. But Van Gaal has opted for Chris Smalling and Daley Blind as his centre-back pairing so far this season.

SWANSEA, WALES - AUGUST 30:  Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal  makes his way into the stadium before the Barclays Premier League match between Swansea City and Manchester United on August 30, 2015 in Swansea, United Kingdom.  (Photo by Stu Forster

Rojo will fancy his chances of getting back into the Red Devils team, though, especially in a position where the club don’t have much cover to call upon should injuries or suspension hit. As noted by Tom Coast of Sport Witness, there are areas of the group where talent is thinly spread:

One of those areas is at the sharp end of the pitch. Subsequently the Red Devils were linked to a host of strikers in the final stages of the summer window, including Queens Park Rangers hitman Charlie Austin, per Dominic King of the Daily Mail

The man himself revealed in the interview with King that after Rangers’ relegation, he was keen on getting a move to a Premier League side, but eventually decided to sit tight at Loftus Road:

"

I was thinking 'do I try and push this move through or do I sit tight?' so it became very hard,' he says. 'After the Charlton game, that was tough. Really tough. I said to my agent and my dad 'I don't know if I can do this'. I wasn't at 100 per cent, mentally or physically. I didn't think I could do it.

'I was just thinking 'I want to play in the Premier League now'. That is where I wanted to be after that game. It would have been easy for me to say to my agent 'I want out, let's get the ball rolling' but I had to be mentally strong and stick to what I wanted to do. I have made the right decision.

"
BARNET, ENGLAND - JULY 22:  Charlie Austin of Queens Park Rangers looks on during the pre season friendly match between Queens Park Rangers and Dundee United at The Hive on July 22, 2015 in Barnet, England.  (Photo by David Rogers/Getty Images)

In the end, United opted to draft in Anthony Martial from Monaco, agreeing a transfer that could top £58 million. The 19-year-old will certainly add dynamism to the Red Devils’ attack, but unlike a player such as Austin, he isn’t proven when it comes to sticking the ball in the back of the net in the Premier League.

Bleacher Report’s Sam Tighe took a look at how Martial is likely to fare following his massive move to Old Trafford:

Austin may have been an underwhelming option for the Red Devils, but he certainly would have offered a more clinical presence in the attacking third. After all, he netted an impressive 18 goals in his 35 Premier League appearances last season, per WhoScored.com.

LONDON, ENGLAND - DECEMBER 20:  Charlie Austin of QPR celebrates victory after his three goals during the Barclays Premier League match between Queens Park Rangers and West Bromwich Albion at Loftus Road on December 20, 2014 in London, England.  (Photo by

With time ticking down in the transfer window, Bleacher Report’s Rob Blanchette admitted he would have been happy to see the QPR man brought in:

Although there were a plethora of teams linked with Austin—including the Red Devils, Crystal Palace and Newcastle United, per King’s piece—he deserves credit for not forcing a move and sticking by the team who gave him a shot in the Premier League in the first place. 

United certainly could have done with his predatory instincts at the point of the attack and playing alongside Wayne Rooney would have been an intriguing proposition. But in Van Gaal’s preferred 4-3-3 system, Austin wouldn’t have possessed the technical skills or mobility to lead the line to the standard required.

Mbappé's Rollercoaster Season 🎢

TOP NEWS

Real Madrid CF v Girona FC - LaLiga EA Sports
Real Betis V Real Madrid - Laliga Ea Sports
United States v Japan - International Friendly
FIFA World Cup 2026 Venues - New York New Jersey Stadium

TRENDING ON B/R