
Blue Jays Exec: 'I Think We're Going to Sign' Vladimir Guerrero Jr. to New Contract
Even though the Toronto Blue Jays have struck out in their attempts to sign outside free agents in recent years, they feel good about their chances of keeping Vladimir Guerrero Jr. as he heads into his final season under contract in 2025.
Blue Jays president Mark Shapiro told reporters on Thursday, "I think we're going to sign" Guerrero to a long-term deal "because we have such a clear alignment on the desired outcome."
Shapiro didn't put a timetable on a deal getting done, only saying it "could be" before Guerrero becomes a free agent or after.
TOP NEWS

Assessing Every MLB Team's Development System ⚾
.png)
10 Scorching MLB Takes 🌶️

Yankees Call Up 6'7" Prospect 📈
The Blue Jays and Guerrero's camp were in contract talks throughout the offseason, but the two sides were unable to agree to terms.
In an interview with ESPN's Enrique Rojas and Ernesto Jerez (h/t ESPN.com), Guerrero attempted to provide some clarity by saying his expectations were not necessarily comparable to the 15-year, $765 million deal Juan Soto got from the New York Mets.
Guerrero did say he was seeking close to the same number of years as Soto, but the total value in his last counteroffer to the Blue Jays was under $600 million:
"It's much less than Soto. We're talking about many fewer millions than Soto, more than a hundred million less. ... It was the same number of years [as Soto's contract], but it didn't reach [$600 million]. The last number we gave them as a counteroffer didn't reach 600. I know the business. I lowered the salary demands a bit, but I also lowered the number of years. ... I'm looking for 14 [years]. I would like 14, 15, even 20 if they give them to me, but doing it the right way."
One apparent sticking point in those talks involved deferred money. The Athletic's Ken Rosenthal reported on March 11 that Guerrero is seeking $500 million in present-day value, but the Blue Jays' offer included deferrals that lowered the present-day value to between $400-450 million.
Guerrero previously said that he was going to cut off any contract talks upon reporting to spring training. It's unclear if he will maintain that stance if the Blue Jays close the gap enough in any future proposals.
It's probably in Toronto's best interest to not let Guerrero test the market, just because free agency can be a crap shoot when multiple teams are trying to make additions.
Guerrero, who turned 26 on March 16, has made the All-Star team in each of the past four seasons and has finished in the top six in AL MVP voting twice since 2021. He hit .323/.396/.544 with 30 homers and 103 RBI in 159 games last season.
The Blue Jays are coming off their worst season since 2019 with a 74-88 record. They made the playoffs three times in the previous four seasons prior to 2024.






