NFLNBAMLBNHLWNBASoccerGolf
Featured Video
Mets Walk-Off Yankees 😯
Getty Images

Jarred Cosart Under MLB Investigation for Gambling: Latest Details, Comments

Mike ChiariMar 25, 2015

Miami Marlins starting pitcher Jarred Cosart was the subject of a gambling investigation after bizarre activity from his Twitter account but has been cleared of allegations that he bet on baseball.

Continue for updates.


TOP NEWS

Washington Nationals v Los Angeles Angels
New York Yankees v. Chicago Cubs

MLB Reaches Decision on Cosart Allegations

Friday, April 3

MLB released a statement announcing its decision on Cosart:

Bob Nightengale of USA Today reported Cosart's thoughts on the decision:

On April 1, Cosart spoke on the ongoing investigation into his alleged gambling, via Christina De Nicola of MLB.com. He said, "Never have, never will bet on baseball." De Nicola added that the league hopes to have the situation resolved by Opening Day.

On March 26, after Twitter user @GhostFadeKillah posted a screenshot of a direct-message conversation with Cosart about betting, per Elfrink, Cosart made it clear he wasn't the culprit behind the messages. 

"Obviously I was caught off guard by the whole situation and all I'm really saying to everyone is I'm following MLB protocol and talking with MLB security and they're taking care of the rest," Cosart said, courtesy of the Miami Herald's Manny Navarro. "So that's where I stand right now and that's it."

After Cosart deleted his account, a new account surfaced with posts. However, those tweets have since been removed. "Anything that happened after [the official account] is not me," Cosart said, per Navarro. "My other one's completely deleted and being looked at by MLB and all the new ones -- that's not me." 

Twitter user Jim McClintock provided a screenshot of those fake posts: 

Although Cosart denies any wrongdoing and claims his Twitter account had been hacked, the Miami New Times recently spoke to @GhostFadeKillah, "who says Cosart's gambling conversation actually took place back in December."

"Major League baseball is aware and they are investigating it and we have no further comment at this time," said Marlins spokesman Matt Roebuck, courtesy of Navarro.

Cincinnati Reds legend Pete Rose is still banned for life for betting on baseball, and Cosart would almost certainly face a similar fate if there is concrete evidence of his gambling. 

This was undoubtedly an unwanted distraction for Cosart and the Marlins with the 2015 regular season approaching.

After going 13-11 with a 3.69 ERA between Miami and the Houston Astros last season, Cosart is expected to be a key part of the starting rotation.

Follow @MikeChiari on Twitter.

Mets Walk-Off Yankees 😯

TOP NEWS

Washington Nationals v Los Angeles Angels
New York Yankees v. Chicago Cubs
New York Yankees v Tampa Bay Rays
New York Mets v San Diego Padres

TRENDING ON B/R