Floyd Mayweather has not agreed to fight Manny Pacquiao in May. Yet.
Speaking on the TNT broadcast of Sunday night's NBA All-Star Game, the pound-for-pound king dispelled rumors that a deal was done, though he remained optimistic the two sides could hash out their differences in time.
"No, that's not true," Mayweather said, per ESPN.com. "Uhm, I haven't signed yet, and he hasn't signed yet, you know. It's just been speculations and rumors. But hopefully we can make the fight happen."
Gareth A Davies of The Telegraph had previously reported Mayweather was on the precipice of signing an agreement, which would have a purse around $250 million. A source close to the situation told Davies that Pacquiao's camp already signed off on the bout.
"Manny has 100 percent signed his side of the deal," the source said. "It is now over to Mayweather to close the deal and announce the fight."
Mayweather and Pacquiao's camps have been in serious discussions about their long-awaited fight since December. The negotiation process has been long and fraught, in large part due to the monetary and contractual wranglings necessary to get a deal done.
NASCAR star Dale Earnhardt Jr. was quick to weigh in, noting Mayweather and Pacquiao need to make this fight happen:
Mayweather has an exclusive pay-per-view contract with Showtime. Pacquiao's is with HBO. Coupled with getting the financials worked out and the two camps overcoming their longstanding feud, it's no surprise we're more than two months into the process without a formal announcement. Mayweather has long been tied to a May 2 fight; fighting on the first Saturday in May, "May Day," has become something of a tradition in recent years.
As the calendar barrels toward March, that date is looking more and more precarious. With each passing day that comes without an announcement, the likelihood of the two all-time greats leaving boxing fans hanging again rises.
Follow Tyler Conway (@tylerconway22) on Twitter