
Deportivo La Coruna's Strong Tussle with Real Madrid Bodes Well for Survival
At one end stood Raphael Varane and Nacho. At the other stood Manuel Pablo and Alberto Lopo.
The first pair, belonging to Real Madrid, consists of two precocious central defenders—one 21, the other 25. One is regarded as the best young player in his position in the world, the other a home-grown product with a bright future.
Both are contracted to the club until 2020. Both stand as long-term replacements for Sergio Ramos and Pepe. And Varane, based on the astronomical figures spent on defenders in 2014-15 (think David Luiz or Eliaquim Mangala), could be worth, well, anything.
TOP NEWS

Madrid Fines Players $590K 😲

'Mbappé Out' Petition Gaining Steam 😳

Star-Studded World Cup Ad 🤩
The second pair, belonging to Deportivo La Coruna, has a combined age of 73. And Pablo, who turns 40 (yes, 40!) next January and is a right-back by trade, was making his first La Liga appearance of the season—and his first since 2012-13.
The contrast between the centre-back partnerships (though far from regular pairings) on its own neatly encapsulated the enormous gulf between these two sides—a gulf that's unrecognisable from little more than a decade ago and one that is only continuing to grow.
But Deportivo defied that chasm on Saturday. Despite their inferiority in resources, depth and talent—their inferiority in basically everything, really—and despite carrying the scars of an 8-2 thrashing at the hands of Real Madrid last September, the Brancoazuis were good value at the Bernabeu.
The scoreline might have read 2-0 in the hosts' favour by day's end, but the visitors gave Real Madrid a strong tussle. They were pesky. Tenacious. Bold.
They gave a performance, irrespective of the result, that bodes well for the club's hopes of survival in La Liga.

"I have total faith and confidence in my players," said Deportivo manager Victor Fernandez in the lead-up to Saturday's match, per Heath Chesters of Inside Spanish Football.
Fernandez had the right to feel a little buoyed; his side were coming into this clash on the back of consecutive victories—the first time that had happened all season. Though thoughts of a win at the Bernabeu—or even of a draw—were always distant, the boss was right to believe that an encouraging display was within his side's capabilities.
And that's exactly what he got.
Indeed, the visitors had the edge for the opening 15 minutes of the first half—something that would repeat itself after the interval.
Isaac Cuenca enjoyed two good chances, drawing a fine save from Iker Casillas with the first. Oriol Riera did the same. Celso Borges hit the post.
Enjoying a mid-season resurgence, there was a rhythm to Depor's game; they took 15 shots, had four on target, forced Real Madrid to make more clearances and interceptions and enjoyed a very respectable 42.3 percent of the possession, per WhoScored.com.
Interestingly, Fernandez's pre-match message was eerily similar to the one he provided before the 8-2 mauling at the hands of Real earlier in the season.
"I believe we'll be able to compete well against Real Madrid," the manager had told the waiting press, having, just like this time, beaten Eibar the previous weekend.
But a battering ensued on that occasion, marred by atrocious defending and a nonexistent midfield. And the loss kickstarted an 11-game run in which Deportivo would win just one game (surprisingly against Valencia).
However, September 2014 now looks very different to February 2015. The new year has yielded 11 points from a possible 21 (pushing Depor up to 13th on the table), with only Spain's footballing aristocracy in Real Madrid and Barcelona defeating the Galicians.
And though it's taken time, a number of the new signings are beginning to have an impact, starting to gel. Not bad, considering the club's total outlay on 16 new faces this season is just £176,000.

On loan from AIK Stockholm, January arrival Borges has quickly formed an effective midfield partnership with Alex Bergantinos. Cuenca, a free summer transfer from Barcelona, has shown flashes of talent—as he did against Real Madrid—when used on either wing.
Juanfran, on loan from Real Betis and once a Real Madrid player, has proved to be a valuable right-sided asset in both defence and midfield. Benfica's Ivan Cavaleiro has become settled in the XI. Sidnei, also a temporary acquisition from Benfica, has enjoyed a long stint at the heart of the defence. And another loanee, Lucas Perez, has two goals in his last four games and three in his last seven.
"We know it's [survival] going to be hard, but it's the same case for eight or nine other teams," Fernandez said after Saturday's impressive display against the league leaders, per Jamie Kemp of Inside Spanish Football.
"We have to prove that we're on an upward trajectory and that we're not the same team as we were during the first few months of the season."
Even if next weekend's Galician derby with Celta Vigo carries more context for Deportivo, Saturday's performance in isolation proves the Brancoazuis are on "an upward trajectory." The club's run of recent results only reinforces that further.
"It was important to leave [the Bernabeu] having been bold and courageous," Fernandez said rather proudly of his team's effort.
His pride was justified; Depor were bold and courageous.
His players, currently enjoying a mid-season surge, are well on track to help the club maintain their La Liga status for another season.



.jpg)







