
Lance Armstrong, Girlfriend Allegedly Agree on Her Taking Blame for Hit-and-Run
Lance Armstrong has pled guilty after hitting two parked cars in December, in an incident where he and his girlfriend decided she should take the blame for the accident.
Continue for updates.
Armstrong Pleads Guilty to Careless Driving
Wednesday, Feb. 18
The Associated Press reported on the conclusion of the case against Armstrong following the incident in which he hit two parked cars:
"The cyclist entered his plea by mail on Friday under a plea agreement with prosecutors, closing the case and avoiding a court appearance.
(...)
Court records show Armstrong paid $238.50 to cover court fees and a $150 fine.
"
Armstrong Hits Two Parked Cars, Girlfriend Takes Blame
Tuesday, Feb. 3
Armstrong reportedly hit two parked cars in Aspen, Colorado, back in December before he and his girlfriend decided she should accept blame for the incident "to avoid national attention."
The Associated Press' Sadie Gurman reports the crash occurred after "a night of partying" on Dec. 28. His girlfriend, Anna Hansen, originally told police she was driving at the time of the collision. She later admitted, however, it was Armstrong behind the wheel:
"Police say Hansen told them she had been driving home from a party when she lost control of Armstrong's SUV, hitting the cars. But Hansen eventually told officers Armstrong was driving, and they both decided to let her take the blame.
"
Chad Abraham of the Aspen Daily News passed along Hansen's comments from a report filed by police detective Rick Magnuson. She told him Armstrong didn't ask her to take the blame, but rather that it was a choice they made together in hopes of sidestepping the spotlight:
"No, that was a joint decision, and, um, you know we've had our family name smeared over every paper in the world in the last couple of years and honestly, I've got teenagers, I just wanted to protect my family because I thought, 'Gosh, Anna Hansen hit some cars, it's not going to show up in the papers, but Lance Armstrong hit some cars, it's going to be a national story.
"
The longtime American sports hero won seven straight Tour de France titles starting in 1999. He was eventually stripped of those due to doping and the Union Cycliste Internationale banned him from competition for life as a result.
Armstrong, 43, had long denied the use of performance-enhancing substances before finally coming clean during an interview with Oprah Winfrey in 2013. More recently, the disgraced cyclist admitted to ABC News he would "probably do it again" if faced with similar circumstances.
The Aspen Daily News report states Armstrong has hired a Denver-based attorney to handle the case and didn't want to speak with police about the incident. His court date is set for March 17.

.jpg)







