
San Diego Chargers' Bargain Guide to the 2015 Offseason
San Diego Chargers general manager Tom Telesco has gotten quite good at bargain hunting, and even though his team won't be handcuffed financially, he still needs to buy low this offseason when it comes to the free-agent market.
At the top of his list, Telesco should consider his own free agents as the primary targets this March. After that, I'll be curious to see which players he seeks out. The Chargers had the second-oldest roster in the NFL a year ago, so getting younger could be in the plan for 2015.
The following slides will take a quick look at four bargain players San Diego could be interested in this offseason based on need, scheme fit and, of course, cost.
RB Roy Helu
1 of 4
Helu's production gets overlooked when compared to that of Alfred Morris in Washington, but versatility in the backfield is an asset most teams kill for these days. For his career, Helu averages 4.4 yards a carry and 8.9 yards per catch.
The Chargers had hoped Donald Brown could be that do-it-all back for them last season, but he fell short of expectations during his first year in a Bolts uniform. Even so, Telesco told reporters that he expects Brown to be back in 2015, per U-T San Diego's Michael Gehlken:
"Chargers GM Tom Telesco says RB Donald Brown will return in 2015. Under contract.
— Michael Gehlken (@UTgehlken) December 31, 2014"
With Ryan Mathews set to enter free agency, San Diego will need to think about adding more depth at running back. Helu isn't feature back material, but odds are he could do more than Brown for less money. Brown is scheduled to make $3 million the next two years while Helu was paid $1.43 million in Washington last year.
WR Cecil Shorts
2 of 4
Shorts will be on a few radars come free-agency time despite the presence of injuries throughout his career. The Mount Union product had a breakout 2012, during which he caught seven touchdown passes, but his production has tailed off slightly the past two seasons.
Getting him away from the Jacksonville Jaguars and into a winning environment, however, may trigger his true potential. San Diego could be the place for Shorts to blossom.
Malcom Floyd matched career highs in receiving yards and touchdowns in 2014, but he'll turn 34 in September. The Chargers also have free agent Eddie Royal to consider.
Shorts made $1.43 million this past year with the Jaguars.
OLB Sam Acho
3 of 4
Acho's pro career got off to a fast start during his first two seasons in the league—he totaled 11 sacks, six forced fumbles and two interceptions. Lately, though, Acho has seen his snaps diminish with the Arizona Cardinals.
The Chargers having aging linebackers in Dwight Freeney and Jarret Johnson to mull over in the offseason. Freeney is a free agent and Johnson has one more year left on his contract.
With what Melvin Ingram managed to accomplish in the games he played last season, San Diego should be excited for the future. However, I think they need to add another pass-rusher to the mix even with second-round pick Jerry Attaochu in place to develop over the next few years.
Acho is finishing up his rookie deal which paid him $1.43 million last season.
CB Perrish Cox
4 of 4
The Chargers saw firsthand what Cox could potentially offer them when the two met in Week 16; he intercepted Philip Rivers once and broke up four passes. His five interceptions ranked third in the NFL last season and he led the San Francisco 49ers in pass breakups with 18.
San Francisco could be forced to choose between Cox and teammate Chris Culliver in free agency, according to Eric Branch of the San Francisco Chronicle. Branch writes that Culliver may be the preferred choice by the 49ers, but Cox will be sure to see a pay increase from the $695,000 base salary he collected in 2014.
San Diego will make every effort to keep starting corner Brandon Flowers this offseason, but if a bidding war ensues, Cox could be a cheaper option to fall back on.
Salary info provided courtesy of Spotrac.com unless otherwise stated.
.jpg)



.png)





