
Barcelona Transfer News and Rumours Tracker: Week of January 5
Barcelona, despite their optimism, were hit with the biggest blow of the season during the past week as the Court of Arbitration for Sport upheld FIFA's decision to ban the club from any incoming transfers until 2016.
Quite how that will affect Barca's hunt for silverware on all fronts will only become clear later in the season, but clearly it will be of benefit to La Liga's chasing pack, especially if players begin to leave either in this window or during the summer.
Let's take a look at the news and rumours from the last day or two and remember to keep checking back throughout the week for updates.
—Last update: Friday January 9—
Lionel Messi
1 of 7
After all of the furore surrounding a possible move to Chelsea for Lionel Messi, a former team-mate has put paid to the rumours.
Cesc Fabregas told Spanish radio programme Al Primer Toque on Onda Cero, via Sid Lowe of The Guardian:
"I’m upset that they say that I could be mediating for Messi to come to Chelsea. How can I be talking about contracts... I’m only a footballer.
He [Messi] will do what makes him happiest. Personally, as his friend, colleague and footballer, if you gave me the chance to play with him again, I would welcome it.
I don’t know Luis Enrique. I do know Leo and I doubt very much that what is being said is happening, because he’s a very relaxed guy and I’ve never seen any of that in the three years we spent together.
Messi is happy at Barça and they are happy with him.
"
Luis Suarez
2 of 7
After just 12 games in Barcelona colours, is it really possible that a sale back to the Premier League for Luis Suarez is on the agenda?
According to Neil Ashton of the Daily Mail, it's a very real possibility with the recent removal of the man who brought him to the club, Andoni Zubizarreta.
Just three goals so far is nowhere near his best form, but there'll be no shortage of takers should the Uruguayan become available.
Lionel Messi
3 of 7
Lionel Messi is going nowhere.
At least that's the view of club president Josep-Maria Bartomeu.
During a press conference held at Camp Nou on Wednesday, the president was asked about rumours linking Messi to Chelsea and his response via the Press Association and reported in The National, was unequivocal:
"I see Leo Messi very happy at Barcelona. I see how he plays, his involvement, his hunger to win.
They are all extremely motivated, not just Messi. Messi is our leader and we want him to continue to be our leader.
What would I do if one day one offer arrives for Leo? There’s no issue. Leo Messi has put his trust in Barca a long time ago, he is the best player in the world.
There are things that don’t need to be explained.
This year’s Leo has nothing to do with that of last season. In this season he has ambition, he has a lot of hunger and that is good news for Barca fans that Leo is as he is right now.
Messi is not the life of the club but he is a crucial part of it, for sure.
"
Lionel Messi
4 of 7
The fall-out from Lionel Messi's row with Luis Enrique could be catastrophic for the Blaugrana.
The Irish Examiner report on an interview given by ex-Barca legend Hristo Stoichkov to Onda Cero:
They have not known how to look after Messi. Tell me any foreign player who has not ended up leaving Barca through the back door. Messi and Neymar are not the guilty parties, but those who gave them holidays.
All players should be treated equally. If you give two days extra holidays, then play them and they get injured, that’s a disaster.
Messi himself told Argentine paper Ole via Nicholas Rigg of The Independent:
"I live the present. All I am thinking about is making this a great year and winning titles, and that's it.
After that, we'll see. Football is full of unexpected twists and turns ... it is true that I said I would like to stay there [Barcelona] forever, but sometimes not everything turns out the way you want.
"
Chelsea remain bystanders at present but wont need any persuading if the rumours of Messi's unhappiness are fully substantiated.
Dani Alves
5 of 7
Dani Alves has entered the last six months of his contract at Barcelona, and it's telling that he hasn't yet been offered an extension to his current deal.
Allowing the Brazilian to leave could be another painful decision by the Catalans, leaving Martin Montoya (if he doesn't leave) and Douglas as the only two recognised right-backs in the side.
Alves told reporters in Spain, per Tom Roddy of the Daily Mail:
"I have a contract until the summer.
I'm a Barcelona player and I'm not interested in negotiating an exit. I want to finish these six months in the best way possible, and afterwards, we'll see.
At the moment I've not been offered a renewal. But I'm relaxed. It is what it is.
"
Lionel Messi
6 of 7
Both Paris Saint-Germain and Chelsea have been working secretly to come up with a deal to sign Lionel Messi, according to Mundo Deportivo (h/t 101 Great Goals).
However, their pursuit of the world's best player is destined to end in disappointment, as the report goes on to note that the Argentine has reiterated his desire to stay at Barcelona.
Andrey Onana
7 of 7Barca have been dealt a bitter blow with the news that highly rated youth goalkeeper Andrey Onana is refusing the offer of a new contract and will instead sign for Ajax.
According to Himanshu Dhingra of Football-Oranje, Onana is one of the best young custodians in European football and he will shortly sign a pre-contract with the Dutch giants.






.jpg)







