That may or may not have been the intention of Peyton's camp and/or owner Jim Irsay's camp, but this potential divorce turned awfully public, awfully quick.
Media jabs were thrown by both parties and a lot of things were said, but nothing has been resolved.
What we do know is that the Colts have until March 8th to pay Peyton $28 million if he's still on the roster. We also know the Colts have no intention of doing that whatsoever.
The Colts, if they wanted Peyton, could have exercised option on Manning at any time since February 7th.Crickets.— Andrew Brandt (@adbrandt) March 1, 2012
To shed even more light on what the Colts are focusing on, Bob Kravitz of the Indianapolis Star reports that Indy is making headway with free-agent defensive end Robert Mathis:
I'm told contract talks between colts and Robert Mathis are warming up considerably— BobKravitz (@bkravitz) February 29, 2012
While new GM Ryan Grigson isn't involved in what Irsay decides to do under center, it is quite obvious that once March 8th finally rolls around Peyton will either have a new contract or be on his way to a new team.
That is exactly one week from now. Seeing as the Colts haven't made a move on their future Hall of Famer at all in the last month, not even talks of renegotiating, it is obvious which decision will be made.
The Colts are wasting our time and delaying the inevitable—Peyton Manning will not be a Colt after March 8th.
You can find me running on Twitter, too.