
Cowboys Rumors: Stephon Gilmore Contract Not 'Imminent' in 2024 NFL Free Agency
The return of free-agent cornerback Stephon Gilmore to the Dallas Cowboys is not "imminent," according to Michael Gehlken of the Dallas Morning News.
Gehlken reported earlier Wednesday that returning Cowboys running back Ezekiel Elliott will not wear No. 21, which was Gilmore's number with the Cowboys in 2023.
TOP NEWS
.jpg)
Colts Release Kenny Moore

Projecting Every NFL Team's Starting Lineup 🔮

Rookie WRs Who Will Outplay Their Draft Value 📈
Elliott previously wore No. 21 for seven seasons in Dallas from 2016 to 2022, but will wear No. 15 when returning in 2024.
The availability of No. 21 apparently doesn't necessarily mean Gilmore will return, although he was productive for the Cowboys last season with two interceptions and 13 passes defensed in 17 starts.
He also recorded a forced fumble and 54 solo tackles during the regular season.
Gilmore played last season on a base salary of just under $8 million on a two-year deal he signed with the Indianapolis Colts in 2022.
The Cowboys then dealt a 2023 fifth-rounder to acquire Gilmore the following offseason.
He is ranked as one of the top 25 cornerbacks in the NFL by Spotrac, which pegs his current market value at $9 million per year.
Gilmore said in February that his "goal" was to return to Dallas in 2024.
The Cowboys have one of the smallest amounts of available cap space in the NFL, per Over the Cap. One reason they have such a cap crunch is that quarterback Dak Prescott has a $55.5 million cap hit.
When asked about re-signing Gilmore in March, Cowboys executive Stephen Jones described the decision as "having to pick and choose where you want to use your resources."
That won't be the only obstacle in the way of Gilmore's potential return to Dallas.
The Carolina Panthers have reached out to Gilmore, who earned one of his five career Pro Bowl nods during his 2021 season in Charlotte, per Joe Person of The Athletic.
Gilmore was a high school teammate of newly signed Panthers pass-rusher Jadeveon Clowney, who told the Charlotte Observer's Alex Zietlow that he is trying to recruit Gilmore to Charlotte.
Karen Guregian also reported for MassLive in March that Gilmore would be "open to all options, including another go-round with the Patriots." The veteran corner spent four seasons, earned a Defensive Player of the Year title and won a Super Bowl in New England between 2017 and 2020.
He may not be competing for another DPOY award, but Gilmore proved himself to still be an effective cornerback during his age-33 season in Dallas. He is likely to provide another boost to whichever defense he signs with in 2024.

.png)





