Will Owen Nolan call it quits?
Today, I will look further into the Devils' current cap situation. GM Lou Lamoriello must move more than three million dollars in cap space before the season commences to be under the cap. Who can he trade/waive? Let's see.
- Brian Rolston—An aging winger, and seems like a likely candidate to be moved at this point. However, he cannot be buried in the minors due to his NMC (no movement clause).
- Bryce Salvador—a steady defenseman, seems to be a more likely candidate as he has no NMC/NTC and can be buried in the minors if a trading partner cannot be found.
- Dainius Zubrus—another aging winger, is in the same situation as Salvador although his skillset is much more attractive to teams than those of the above mentioned.
- To move any of these three players requires some maneuvering, something Lamoriello might not be willing to do. Teams see these three guys as "salary dumps" and won't take on their contracts unless something is added to sweeten the pot. (draft picks, prospects, etc.) it is highly unlikely Lamoriello takes that route at this point. If anything, he could bury Salvador and/or Zubrus in the minors.
- Travis Zajac, a young center with potential, carries a cap hit of $3.9M and is a very unlikely candidate. However, anything is possible. Devils management may not want to pay for anyone's salaries in the minors. If that's the case, the Devils may have to trade away one of their core.
The Devils will most likely be dealing with quite a few teams that are under the league minimum of $43.4M.
- Colorado Avalanche
- New York Islanders
- Atlanta Thrashers
- St. Louis Blues
- Carolina Hurricanes
- Phoenix Coyotes
- Florida Panthers
- Tampa Bay Lightning
- Dallas Stars
- Anaheim Ducks
- Nashville Predators
- Los Angeles Kings
These teams have $9M+ of free cap space and adding some depth with the likes of Zubrus and/or Salvador would not be a bad idea for a few of these teams. If no one takes a flier on them, to Lowell they go!
It looks as if the "Cheechoo Train" is attempting a comeback. Paul Kukla of Kuklaskorner.com is reporting that Dallas Stars GM Joe Nieuwendyk has announced that the winger has accepted the Stars' invitation to training camp.
David Pollak of the San Jose Mercury News is reporting that Owen Nolan will not receive a contract from the San Jose Sharks. The veteran winger is hoping to receive a contract from an NHL team soon since he has never been in this situation before—that is, not being under contract in September.
Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun reports that Bill Guerin has been skating with the Philadelphia Flyers for the past week. However, things are not looking good for Guerin as it seems that the Flyers will not offer him a contract.
Signings Around the League:
- Fredrik Modin (ATL): Financial Terms Undisclosed (1 Year)
Stay tuned for more updates coming soon!
For questions concerning my articles, please inbox me or write on my B/R profile's bulletin board.